1997 Sea Doo Bombadier XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatonc

Hello!

So this past Saturday I bought a 97' Sea Doo Bombardier XP. Sunday I took it out (the day after I bought it) and it started fine, idled fine and then when I got out of the No Wake zone I went full throttle and it seem very very slow to plane. I would say it took about 6 seconds. Its seemed very slow. I haven't ridden in 6 years or so and thought maybe it was normal for this year make and model. about 1 minute later it started bogging out on every larger wave I hit. Still didn't think to stop or turn around. 10 minutes later it completely stopped and bogged down. It took me 50 minutes to get back to the launch because I couldn't

I have read a few threads on this same issue but I haven't really seen any cost analysis for it. And it was a different year. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? the people I bought it from basically told be to eff off, not their problem. I feel like I got dooped.

Thank you for the help!!

Hello!

So this past Saturday I bought a 97' Sea Doo Bombardier XP. Sunday I took it out (the day after I bought it) and it started fine, idled fine and then when I got out of the No Wake zone I went full throttle and it seem very very slow to plane. I would say it took about 6 seconds. Its seemed very slow. I haven't ridden in 6 years or so and thought maybe it was normal for this year make and model. about 1 minute later it started bogging out on every larger wave I hit. Still didn't think to stop or turn around. 10 minutes later it completely stopped and bogged down. It took me 50 minutes to get back to the launch because I couldn't

I have read a few threads on this same issue but I haven't really seen any cost analysis for it. And it was a different year. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? the people I bought it from basically told be to eff off, not their problem. I feel like I got dooped.

Thank you for the help!!
Always check the compression before you buy it. What's your compression at?

Always check the compression before you buy it. What's your compression at?

I don’t even know. I am going to attempt to take it in to someone tomorrow when I get off work. There only place that works on jet skis near me didn’t open until tomorrow.

Hello!

Thank you for the help!!

I don’t even know. I am going to attempt to take it in to someone tomorrow when I get off work. There only place that works on jet skis near me didn’t open until tomorrow.
I'd be careful with taking it in somewhere as they will overcharge you for everything, if you can get your hands on a compression tester, maybe Renting one from a parts store, you will learn a lot from compression

Yea I planned to learn as much as I could through these forums so I can speak intelligently about when I get there. Even if I bought a compression tester, I don’t think that would get me anywhere. If the compression is off I’d imagine there is some work that needs to be done on it. If it’s not off then ther is still work that needs to be done on it lol. I appreciate the input. Every little tid bit helps. I love the way the jet ski looks lol just wish it would work!

Last edited:
Also...when I inspected the ski upon purchase it was very clean looking. As shown by the photos. Nothing looks out of place to me. DBAACCBC-BCD1-429F-9286-9F171D9497CC.jpeg4A191B6E-F857-48DD-9105-A394A1AF5D34.jpeg46FBB0C9-1DDD-49DD-BB32-83C6943E51D0.jpeg50DCFD22-EFC9-4E9A-81A0-4DF947FFDD8F.jpegDBAACCBC-BCD1-429F-9286-9F171D9497CC.jpegDBAACCBC-BCD1-429F-9286-9F171D9497CC.jpeg98EF89FE-96F1-4660-96F9-4EC39740D8ED.jpeg50DCFD22-EFC9-4E9A-81A0-4DF947FFDD8F.jpeg

Also...when I inspected the ski upon purchase it was very clean looking. As shown by the photos. Nothing looks out of place

That ski has been severely over heated. The RTV exhaust seal is not a good sign either.
Check the compression then pull the head and inspect everything. If it's good, then I'd rebuild the fuel system and get proper gaskets on exhaust

I thought you were being sarcastic at first.. that ski has been severely over heated. The RTV exhaust seal is not a good sign either.
No sarcasm at all. Dead serious. How can you tell it has been severally over heated? And what about the exhaust seal? What’s bad about that? What would you guess the issue is?

This is from another thread of someone who was having the same issue. Does this sound like its about the same thing? I don’t expect you to read all of it.

“So I did all of these one by one started the ski and nothing seemed to work. It took me 3 days to do all of the stuff I listed above with no success. So finally just when I was about to give up I figured it out. I thought if the ski can idle this good why would it not be able to run full out. So I pulled open my xp manual and traced it back to the ignition wire. Not the spark plug wire / not the coil but the LITTLE WHITE WIRE that connects to the base of the coil. . I followed it all the way around the back of the jetski to the front of the jets ski where it went into the white box that hold the ECM.

there are cord black cord grips on the outside of this box seal the wires so that water can’t get inside the box. Well just above the cord grips are a bunch of connectors so that you can replace the box If need be. It turns out that this connector was not making a very good connection to this ignition wire that ran to the coil. So I pushed really hard on the connectors to try and get them to go together further and i started the ski

. It fired right up with full throttle only to slowly go back to an idle. I figured the connection was good for a second but vibrated loose a little . I then took the white wire and cut it before and after the connectors, I then soldered the wires together with a wire I had laying around. This way I by pass the connector. I started the ski again and it ran perfect. WOT all day long.

It’s been a day now and it’s running like a champ.

Just wanted to let you guys know what worked for me to fix the Idle but wont go full throttle issue. I could have sworn it was a fuel problem myself and I’m glad I got all the other stuff taken care of.

Now I’m just happy to be back on the water again”

So I’m guessing it’s similar to this issue.

You can see the paint on the pipe, manifold head and front cylinder are very discolored. This is from it getting very hot.

The copper sealant on the headpipe to manifold is not correct either as it should be a factory gasket installed dry.

Somebody has already pulled the pipe and head so who knows what's going on.

You also have wiring that is taped up, VTS is unplugged, old oil lines and not sure what injection oil but it looks very dark.

Something happened to this engine so check compression before guessing and wasting any more money.

You can see the paint on the pipe, manifold head and front cylinder are very discolored. This is from it getting very hot.

The copper sealant on the headpipe to manifold is not correct either as it should be a factory gasket installed dry.

Somebody has already pulled the pipe and head so who knows what's going on.

Something happened to this engine so check compression before guessing and wasting any more money.
Just reading that made my stomach drop. I’m not to mechanically inclined when it comes to engines, let alone ones on jet skis. Well I’m going to get the compression checked out first like you said. God I hope I didn’t get sold a broken ski. Who does that? You have any idea how much it’s going to cost Ball Park? I mean it fires up fine, idles fine too. I have a video but it won’t let me upload it. I want to believe it’s a good ski. I REALLY appreciate all the advice so far.

Yea I planned to learn as much as I could through these forums so I can speak intelligently about when I get there. Even if I bought a compression tester, I don’t think that would get me anywhere. If the compression is off I’d imagine there is some work that needs to be done on it. If it’s not off then ther is still work that needs to be done on it lol. I appreciate the input. Every little tid bit helps. I love the way the jet ski looks lol just wish it would work!
The compression test will tell you a lot actually, much more than the shop will. If you have low compression, you need a motor rebuild, if compression is good, then you will have a cheaper approach which is most likely fuel system

Greetings to all I have a sea Doo RXP 2005 My problem is the next the starter gets stuck Estartiando all the time as the only stop is if you disconnect the battery, I did the following tests
1. Remove the fuse and the problem continues. 2. Remove the cable coming from the switch and the continuous problem that can be the solenoids was damaged or just the starter is not good thanks for the help I can provide

Greetings to all I have a sea Doo RXP 2005 My problem is the next the starter gets stuck Estartiando all the time as the only stop is if you disconnect the battery, I did the following tests
1. Remove the fuse and the problem continues. 2. Remove the cable coming from the switch and the continuous problem that can be the solenoids was damaged or just the starter is not good thanks for the help I can provide
Please start your own thread in the 4-stroke PWC section. I will delete this shortly.....

Beatonc I have this same ski... I bought it in 2012 and it has been out of the water since. I am just now getting to work on it and I got it running the other day... I didn't know much about Skis at all but have learned so much since I have been reading, researching. and youtube watching.... and then of course there are resources like this one that I just joined... Looking for to learning more and to the updates on your thread. So what was the compression test results??? I have a compression tester and this thread makes me want to test mine....

I have it in the shop, they have had it for two days and haven’t even gotten to it. This is an absolute disaster. I tried contacting the people o bout it from and they blocked me and my wife on Facebook lol. Also my phone number. So this tells me something is very wrong with the ski. I think so am going to take them to small claims court. But I’ll post on here as soon as this shop gets back to me. Whenever that is. They told me they were behind 6 weeks after I called yesterday. I was like WHAT?! Why would you not tell me this when I dropped it off, I would have went somewhere else! I’ll keep y’all posted.

Well if that is the only shop close by and it's THAT time of the year, I'm not surprised... I did see a friend post on his Facebook the other day that he was ISO a jet ski repair person and he was able to find a guy that did it on the side... Might try that... I greatly dislike the situation that has brought your thread about, but looking forward to you getting it up and running again... I'm gonna figure mine out and just posted about my carb issue....

Well if that is the only shop close by and it's THAT time of the year, I'm not surprised... I did see a friend post on his Facebook the other day that he was ISO a jet ski repair person and he was able to find a guy that did it on the side... Might try that... I greatly dislike the situation that has brought your thread about, but looking forward to you getting it up and running again... I'm gonna figure mine out and just posted about my carb issue....
Ill have too look at your post. JUST GOT A CALL from the dealership about 30 seconds after I posted last lol. ITS NOT THE ENGINE. It has about 75 PSI per plug and the rods all look good. It needs a new fuel system and a new ware ring. Its all torn up. Still going to cost about $600, but man am I happy its not totally trashed. Of course I am going to get the work done, ill be in it for $2250 at that point. Now I just need to decide when I get it from the dealership if I want sell it or keep it lol. Huge stress reliever. Thank you everyone for your input. Ill post again when I get it on the water in a few weeks and see how it performs.

STOP! Did they actually tell you it is 75 psi per cylinder? Perfect is 150 psi and rebuild is anything under 120 psi.

If they are correct that engine is done! There is no way the can tell if the rods are good unless they tore the engine apart.

STOP! Did they actually tell you it is 75 psi per cylinder? Perfect is 150 psi and rebuild is anything under 120 psi.

If they are correct that engine is done! There is no way the can tell if the rods are good unless they tore the engine apart.
This is exactly why I strongly advised you not to take it to the dealer

This is exactly why I strongly advised you not to take it to the dealer
LOL I just saw this. Yea the guy working on it is an absolute moron. I am not mechanically inclined at all, but this guy is a freaking idiot. He quoted be $600 to go through the fuel system and replace the wear ring. He is charging me $500 just for the wear ring. Unreal. I showed him a video and told him there is something wrong with the fuel delivery system and he doesn't even want to work on it? he said he would charge me another 600 for it. At this point I am just going to pick it up and try to sell it. He said its fine. I may do a water test to check it out. I know there is an issue somewhere with the fuel system. And I don't even know what the hell the compression is at, he said 150 psi one day and 175 psi the other. I'm about to pick it up today and ill complain my ass off to the dealer but I don't expect to get anywhere. This whole thing has been a disaster. I just paid another 500 and I don't even know if it works?

I do have ONE LAST QUESTION FOR YOU ALL. The current mechanic, who I'm surprised remembers how to breath, says that the fuel system is fine. I know its not. He was saying the destroyed wear ring issue over heated the engines and the "pump wasn't working for the engine, there for wont rev up". this doesn't sound right to me at all. so is there any circumstance where the bad wear ring would cause the engine to not rev up at all? the engine ran fine for the first ten minutes and then shit out. I couldn't go higher than an idle speed. Any thoughts?

I trashed pump can cause an engine to overheat because if it can't build thrust it can't force water into the engine cooling system.

But it will rev to the moon and not go anywhere just like a slipping clutch until it overheats and seizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back