1997 GTX turning over but not starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doofan

1997 Sea-Doo GTX turning over but not starting

I just got a 1997 GTX with 787 motor. It hasn't been run in a few months. It has a newish duralast battery (I have two skis and both batteries will start the other ski). I replaced the starter and the starter solenoid, and now it will sometimes crank/ turn over (usually on the first attempt after charging the battery), but it won't start up. I'm thinking either the gas is bad or the fuel lines are clogged? Also I'm going to clean some of the wires to hopefully get it to crank every time...side note, the ignition key doesn't do the normal two beeps like my other ski, if I hold my head close to it I can hear one very short and quiet beep. I also tried cranking it with the plugs out and no significant amount of oil came out. Any ideas??

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a 1997 GTX with 787 motor. It hasn't been run in a few months. It has a newish duralast battery (I have two skis and both batteries will start the other ski). I replaced the starter and the starter solenoid, and now it will sometimes crank/ turn over (usually on the first attempt after charging the battery), but it won't start up. I'm thinking either the gas is bad or the fuel lines are clogged? Also I'm going to clean some of the wires to hopefully get it to crank every time...side note, the ignition key doesn't do the normal two beeps like my other ski, if I hold my head close to it I can hear one very short and quiet beep. I also tried cranking it with the plugs out and no significant amount of oil came out. Any ideas??

Regardless of it not starting, you need to get it to crank smooth and efficiently. So,,, remove all HOT and GROUND wires, clean the ends with a wire brush as well as where they mount. Put them back together using dielectric grease.

Jump the solenoid and see how it cranks. If it cranks well, then try it with the lanyard and start button. If it cranks poor when jumping the solenoid, the do the following. What is the voltage while cranking at the battery? Then move the Positive (P) to the input of the solenoid, what is the voltage while cranking. Then the output of the solenoid, then to the starter wire at the starter. What are all those volt readings. Then move the Negative (N) to the block and re-do the exact same test...

Do you have Grey Tempo fuel lines?

Update-problem was a ton of oil in the cylinders and crank case, caused by being stored on the guy I bought I from's homemade dock which had it at a very steep angle. He had burned out the starter from attempting to start it so much. Store your jet skis flat if possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back