1997 GTX RAVE valve keeps melting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexpatnode

I have a '97 GTX 787 with around 180 hours on it and it has been going through RAVE valves like crazy. The first time it happened, the entire thing melted so I did a whole rebuild. It worked fine for maybe 10 minutes and then it started surging and wouldn't go above 4000RPM's. After looking into that one, everything melted but the cap. I assumed that I installed in improperly and then did more in depth research and watched videos on how to install it and did it by the books. Still, after 15 minutes this time (upgrade), it melted again. I don't understand why this keeps happening and its terribly frustrating. Obviously exhaust air is leaking out but I don't know how to solve the issue.

Anyone else experienced this and found a solution? All help is appreciated!

I had the same problem on my 96 GTX. First time it melted the the plastic cap . Replaced with a new one as well as the o-rings on the valve. That fixed my issue for a bit then it all melted again. Found some info about the valve and or housing possibly being worn so I replaced both of those. Unfortunately I did not know anything about valve clearance and broke the new valve sometime after install and am currently working a top end rebuild so I am not sure if that would have fixed my issue. But everything I read pointed to either a valve or valve housing being worn and allowing the exhaust gas up the rave valve stem and melting stuff inside the cap. I also had a noticeable small oil leak out of the black outer cap as well. You can measure the valve stem and the hole in the housing in the problem valve and compare to measurements of the non issue valve to see if that could be the issue. Hope that helps. Someone with more experience might have better advice. I haven't been working on theses things alot but am getting a pretty steep learning curve recently.

So if you replaced the Oring and it melted stuff again your valves and/or the bases are so far out of spec that hot gases are getting up there and melting stuff. Or....you have a seriously out of tune motor (lean)

I had the same problem on my 96 GTX. First time it melted the the plastic cap . Replaced with a new one as well as the o-rings on the valve. That fixed my issue for a bit then it all melted again. Found some info about the valve and or housing possibly being worn so I replaced both of those. Unfortunately I did not know anything about valve clearance and broke the new valve sometime after install and am currently working a top end rebuild so I am not sure if that would have fixed my issue. But everything I read pointed to either a valve or valve housing being worn and allowing the exhaust gas up the rave valve stem and melting stuff inside the cap. I also had a noticeable small oil leak out of the black outer cap as well. You can measure the valve stem and the hole in the housing in the problem valve and compare to measurements of the non issue valve to see if that could be the issue. Hope that helps. Someone with more experience might have better advice. I haven't been working on theses things alot but am getting a pretty steep learning curve recently.

I appreciate the insight. Ill take a look at the clearance and maybe the valve housing if that doesn't solve the issue.

Did you replace the entire valve, housing, o-ring and bellows with new parts?

I see the housing is not included. Go to your dealer and buy 2 housings.

Chester

The housing is aluminum and won't melt. The hole is worn out. Whenever the RAVE pistons melt, it's due to hot exhaust gasses getting through the hole past the valve stem. You have to replace the valve and the housing.

Chester

The housing is aluminum and won't melt. The hole is worn out. Whenever the RAVE pistons melt, it's due to hot exhaust gasses getting through the hole past the valve stem. You have to replace the valve and the housing.

Chester

Ill definitely do that. Thank you!

When the housing wears and the tolerance gets loose it will cause the rave piston to melt from the hot exhaust gas

Also, that rave kit includes an aftermarket rave valve, not OEM. Most of the aftermarket valves are junk and not to exact OEM specs.

I'd replace everything with OEM.

I have always had issues with my RAVES melting caps on 787's. I had a 97 SPX and a 97 Challenger. The SPX had sand completely blocking that cooling return line that comes off the back of the cylinders (off that T-fitting). The challenger had a little shell crammed into the muffler fitting where that hose attaches (impossible to see unless you remove entire muffler). I realize now that with these hoses blocked, the engine was not able to move enough cooling water through itself, thereby causing it to always run a little hotter. I think this was the source of my rave troubles. I upgraded the challenger to 4tec, and only ran the SPX with the hose unblocked for about one season, during which I didn't have any more rave issues.

I have always had issues with my RAVES melting caps on 787's. I had a 97 SPX and a 97 Challenger. The SPX had sand completely blocking that cooling return line that comes off the back of the cylinders (off that T-fitting). The challenger had a little shell crammed into the muffler fitting where that hose attaches (impossible to see unless you remove entire muffler). I realize now that with these hoses blocked, the engine was not able to move enough cooling water through itself, thereby causing it to always run a little hotter. I think this was the source of my rave troubles. I upgraded the challenger to 4tec, and only ran the SPX with the hose unblocked for about one season, during which I didn't have any more rave issues.

Any advise on how I could check that out? I plan on replacing the rave valve with OEM next time (waiting on tax returns) and hoping that changing out the housing will solve my problem.

Also, that rave kit includes an aftermarket rave valve, not OEM. Most of the aftermarket valves are junk and not to exact OEM specs.

Do you have any input on possibly replacing the valves with used ones on eBay? I know it can be a little shifty because there's no guarantee that they work but it would save me half the price.

Do you have any input on possibly replacing the valves with used ones on eBay? I know it can be a little shifty because there's no guarantee that they work but it would save me half the price.
Well the issue would be you don't know how worn the raves will be with used. I've gotten great deals on new OEM ones on there you just have to watch for them. Heck the last 2 sets I got for under $60 shipped per set which is crazy.

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline"> <div> </ div>
339/5000
Olá amigo, como eu entendo, seu problema certamente é causado por uma das duas razões:
1- As linhas de água que tornam o escape legal podem ser entupidas.
2 - O vácuo de abertura da válvula não está funcionando perfeitamente ou a mola da válvula ou o diafragma podem estar com problemas, dificultando a exaustão dos gases de escape.

Was looking on eBay for the parts and saw that I can buy pre-owned valves fully assembled. I know that there is a risk for buying used parts and I found one that had 16 hours on it but is from a 2001. Does anyone know if this will work for my 1997?

If it's RFI, then no. I don't think they made any carb model 787s in 2001, did they? If so, it may be good, but I'd still replace the bellows and O-ring as they're like 17yo now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back