Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caljpatt

I’ve got two ‘97 GTX’s. Ones got bottom end issues and the other leaks oil into the cylinders. I just got the leaky one yesterday. Leaky one needs a starter so me and dad got the one off of the seized one. To make sure the starter worked, I tried it on the seized one, with the head already off. Moved pistons very slightly. Got the starter off of that one after I got a nice deal on this “new” one, seems like it’ll be running a lot sooner than the one with bottom end issues. We jumped it using a lawn mower battery, and the thing just beeped. Put the key on, try to start it and beep (just once) The gauges would flash a warning light. I don’t know what’s going on. May have a ton of problems on my hands. Any tips for a teen who has absolutely no idea what he’s doing? Lol

If it’s leaking oil into the cylinders it will need a new rebuilt crankshaft.

One long beep means the computer isn’t recognizing the lanyard key.

If it’s leaking oil into the cylinders it will need a new rebuilt crankshaft.

One long beep means the computer isn’t recognizing the lanyard key.

Makes sense that it doesn’t recognize it, the key came from the other one. He is gonna try to get me the key for that one. Anything I can do to switch the keys or something? I’m kinda hoping it doesn’t need a bottom end. I have no proof of oil in the cylinders either , just what I was told is that it was shooting oil out of the spark plug holes when he turned it over.

The key is programmed to the MPEM computer so nothing you can do without the correct key.

The key is programmed to the MPEM computer so nothing you can do without the correct key.
I’ve got the correct key and the new starter from the other GTX works, but when I spin it with the plugs out it creates an awful mess, and when they are in the engine is hydro locked so my buddy is gonna bring some needle nose vise grips on Thursday I don’t have that type, and we are gonna block off the oil tank through the lines and see if we can’t clean out all the oil from the cylinders and possibly check the oil pump after. Was told by a very experienced mechanic that I could drop a small cap’s worth of gas into each of the plug holes once the oil is out and see if it can run. Any thoughts?

May have a ton of problems on my hands. Any tips for a teen who has absolutely no idea what he’s doing? Lol

This may be an accurate assessment, these things are old, my 97' GTX was a mess when I got it. My suggestion, least what's worked for me on my two skis, when you acquire something that's needs attention everywhere just start over, strip it down and build it back up. What you accomplish is finding other issues that could have materialized later.

What do I mean by this? Go over everything, pull the engine, jet pump, lines, everything, clean, test, verify, then reverse the process and assemble.

Cons - More money up front and you're down for a while and won't be riding.

Pros - It'll be more reliable and won't have as many issues later that nickel and dime you.
You learn about the ski 'before' things go wrong and know where to focus.

This may be an accurate assessment, these things are old, my 97' GTX was a mess when I got it. My suggestion, least what's worked for me on my two skis, when you acquire something that's needs attention everywhere just start over, strip it down and build it back up. What you accomplish is finding other issues that could have materialized later.

What do I mean by this? Go over everything, pull the engine, jet pump, lines, everything, clean, test, verify, then reverse the process and assemble.

Cons - More money up front and you're down for a while and won't be riding.

Pros - It'll be more reliable and won't have as many issues later that nickel and dime you.
You learn about the ski 'before' things go wrong and know where to focus.
Sounds like a great idea. Since I have two, one is already getting the whole job. (Motor taken completely out, disassembled, and rebuilt in at least the bottom end) seems like the cause for the blowing up was whoever decided to bypass oil injection did not plug the hole where the oil was supposed to go. Just what I was told. This is a big jump for me. My first project was a dirt bike that started an hour after we got it home. (Carb clean, then first kick) now I’m jumping right in to top and bottom end rebuilds along with who knows what on a machine that was not designed to be worked on. Pretty fun though, at the end of the day.
Good thing is:
The Tigershark only needs two new pistons and rings + gaskets as it managed to blow one single piston, not damage the cylinder, and have a repairable head, and the previous owner ran it on one piston for who knows how long ?
Bad thing is:
Tigershark is a tigershark. That’s about it
GTX’s are still up in the air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back