1997 gtx problems please help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kizyle21090

Hey I'm a new owner of PWC but I bought 2 skis one a 1997 gtx which having the issues with..they were sitting for like 3 to 4 years i was told...i test drove it started right up ran great.. then took it out and would start up and drive for a little bit and turn off wouldn't start back up..well fixed that by doing a quick cleaning with carb cleaner down the throat..and it fixed it..(for a short period of time then was having a issue with 12v low flashing which charged battery and took it out. A few times worked great now. Stuck with it only cranking and won't beep. With a maintence light.. please help me if u need to no anything else please ask like I said I new to these but I'm really trying to get it running to winterize it it's getting cold

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181023-171559.png
    Screenshot_20181023-171559.png
    880.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
This is the ski.. sorry

I think the confusion is your signature block, but that's a 97' GTX like you state. You'd be taking a risk to keep riding it, since it's close to winterizing for most people, with the down time it may be a good time to dig a little deeper and put some attention into the fuel system. Since it sat for 3-4 years, I'd go through it and rebuild the carbs with OEM, replace the fuel lines, especially if they're tempo gray, and get a new fuel selector.

Last edited:
You should quit riding it until you fully check it out and especially fix any fuel issues. Lean condition from grey lines failing has ruined many 787s when owner just kept riding it instead of fixing it correctly. Spraying carb cleaner down the throats doesn’t fix anything. Here’s my suggestions at a minimum:
1. Check compression and verify it’s OK (150psi is desirable)
2. Verify if it still have the original grey tiempo fuel line
3. Verify if it still has the original oil injection lines (white paint over is the clue)
4. If yes to #2, order OEM carb rebuild kit, new fuel line, and new fuel selector and replace/rebuild. Pay particular attention to internal screens in the carb during disassembly to see if the previous owner has been running it lean)
5. If yes to #3, replace oil injection lines before they crack and fail.

There are lots of videos and info one the carbs and hoses. Nick at OSD Marine is usually the cheapest and can get you everything you need. My 96 carbs were plugged causing a bog and lean condition. I took it out on maiden voyage and immediately turned around to fix it before causing any engine damage. I did everything above and it runs great as well as not going to leave me stranded somewhere with a siezed motor.

Voltage regulators and stators are common failures on that ski as well. Mine had both replaced under warranty many years ago. Did you fully recharge battery and recheck? BTW, don’t jump it with a charger while battery is connected as that has proven to burn out the mpem system causing the key not to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back