1997 GTX, no spark no gas to plugs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

marke52896

This Ski (97 GTX) is causing me to loose my mind. Had early issue with carb which thanks to this forum I was able to solve (pop-off pressure wrong after rebuilding card) but that was corrected. Ski ran fine for one nice long ride on the lake the next morning she would crank but not turn over. Fiddled with it a little more and got her going, first ride I hit a small wave and she died and would crank but not fire. Switch the ignation coil and starter relay from working 96 GTX and the 97 fired right up. Put the ignation coil and starter relay into the 96 which was running and it would not fire so I replace the coil and relay and the 96 fired right up. So I thought I had solved the problem. Decided to retest the 97 and she cranks but will not fire even tried switching the coil and relay and still will not fire. How could it work one day, sit on the trailer for 3 days and them nothing? Spark is weak and the plugs do not appear to get any gas? About to make this ski a fish habitat.
I have checked the 3 fuses I could find (one where coil is at and two in front), replaced the regulator (I think thats what it's called) located in front. Nothing????

I'm thinking that the pick-up coil broke from it's mount. SO... it will go a little random for a while, before it gives up totally.

I'd pull the mag cover, and check.

Well removing the mag cover was a little more time consuming than I figured but got it off and the coil is firmly attached to it's mount. The stator looked fine no discoloring. There were metal particules in the casing and many that were sticking to the pickup coil. The pickup coil also had a redish brown power on it. Still apart, going to clean out the particules and make sure everything is good and clean before putting it all back together. My looks I would be surprised if this was the issue?

Well... if there was rusty metal powder... it can cause issues.

SO... I guess you have a bad coil.

Pull the carbs and rebuild. Also verify that fuel will come up the feed hose, and the return is clear. If you have gray tempo fuel hoses... that's the issue. Replace them all, and clean the system out. They break down, and send melted rubber goo into the carbs, and filters.

Replace them with black, automotive fuel line.

Carbs have been rebuilt but going to recheck them, all lines replaced earlier this year. Just pulled the plugs, and carb, cprayed some cleaner in to make sure no mositure was in place and to clean out in gunk. Will update after I have rechecked and reinstalled carb.

Did you verify that the coil actually is making it to ground? You can crank all day but if that coil isn't grounded it will never spark. If the ground is questionable it could work sometimes and not others.

If you have the air box off I would take a mirror and a flash light and have someone hold the throttle wide open and with the mirror and flashlight verify that the RV is actually turning over.

I'm thinking pick up trigger is snapped off in the mag housing, fairly common on the earlier 787 skis. Especially if you say it all started AFTER you hit a wave

Getting spark, I actually replaced the slator and pickup coil. Just no fuel what so ever to the plugs. I can verify the pistons are moving as they should so I would think the rotary valve is working. Somehow between the carb and plugs fuel is just failing to come through. Good fuel flow to carb and return looks fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back