1997 GTX Milky Oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Picked up a 97 GTX on Tuesday. Pulled the plugs and compression looks pretty good. I got a good bit of milky residue spraying from the rear cylinder upon rotation. Front cylinder looks fine. I just purchased the machine and wondering which leak paths should be checked.

Sorry for posting to the wrong forum... this is certainly not a performance topic. LOL

Last edited:
Sounds like you have water in the rear cylinder. If that’s the case the engine is shot and needs a full rebuild.

Picked up a 97 GTX on Tuesday. Pulled the plugs and compression looks pretty good. I got a good bit of milky residue spraying from the rear cylinder upon rotation. Front cylinder looks fine. I just purchased the machine and wondering which leak paths should be checked.

Sorry for posting to the wrong forum... this is certainly not a performance topic. LOL
Try getting all the water out and run it if it is steaming then that means the you probably have a head gasket leak.

How long has it had the water in it?

A full crank rebuild at a reputable shop for a 787cc is about $425...

A full engine rebuild at a reputable shop is about $1,500.00 with a reusable core.

Just an update here as I started another thread in the 2 stroke forum. the only thing that was usable in the end was the Mag section. That was in great shape. I have not been able to reuse a single engine part, include the engine cases. I bought all the parts I used off Ebay. LOL I can't call it a rebuild because I threw everything in the trash can. It was an experience for sure. I am now waiting on a starter. Of course that was/is bad also. :) Why do I love this kinda work so much?? I think it is being able to resurrect old equipment an give it new life. The ability for it to fulfill its purpose once again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back