1997 GTX Drive Shaft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I am getting quite a stock in Seadoo jet skis. Since my first fixer upper in May of 2017 I now have Four Skis. I purchased a 1997 GTX today and brought it home. Question - if one replaces the drive shaft does that mean the jet pump comes apart as well and gets serviced?? I like the ski as all the electronics seem to be working. I can use it for parts but I'd like to make it reliable. That way I'll have two 3 seater skis. I will likely sell the two smaller skis. the STX and STI.

Last July, I picked up a worn out 1997 GTX I'm completely restoring. What are you asking? If the drive shaft looks good on each end, keep it. I'd dissemble the jet pump, inspect the wear ring and replace as necessary. Same for all the bearings in it, check em out, then refill with the proper oil. You'll need that splined prop tool to get it apart, check out ebay, I think I paid about $15 for mine a couple months ago.

If the oil isn’t milky with water contamination just change the oil. Inspect the impeller and wear ring. Don’t spend unnecessary money.

The reason for my question was that the previous owner said the drive shaft was replaced. I was wondering if working on the pump would be a necessary consequence of removing the driveshaft. I have found out on my own... LOL that the drive shaft comes out of the pump and the pump need not be involved. I was hoping the pump was recently rebuilt which was not the case. The pump does seem smooth and since there is no reason for me to disassemble I merely replaced the oil. As Always thanks so much for the responses to my posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back