1997 GTX Differernt Compression Readings 150 vs 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

avidjack

I have a 97 GTX in the shop to replace fuel lines but before the guy got started he check compression and found that one cylinder read about 150 while the other was very high at 180. What could cause this? Is it bad? The PWC has not been used yet this season. Any suggestions? The guy is being considerate before you repairs the lines and then has to go deeper? Thanks

Probably oil in the cyl. (leaks past the center seals when it was sitting) Start the engine for 10 or 15 seconds... let it cool, and check it again. If it was really at 180 psi... the engine would eat itself in short order.

Tony, thanks I will ask the guy to give this a try. But for my information, what could make the pressure measure 180. I know you mentioned oil, but would that be oil from gas/oil mix or something else? Is there anything else that could make the pressure high in one cyclinder? Hopefully you will get this I am new to posting. Thanks Jack

I have a 97 GTX in the shop to replace fuel lines but before the guy got started he check compression and found that one cylinder read about 150 while the other was very high at 180. What could cause this? Is it bad? The PWC has not been used yet this season. Any suggestions? The guy is being considerate before you repairs the lines and then has to go deeper? Thanks

If you took it to a shop/dealer, shouldn't they be able to tell you what the problem is? If they can't, I sure as heck wouldn't let them work on my ski! You shouldn't have to tell the shop/dealer what the problem is with your ski!

Have you ever gotten water in the ski/motor? Usually with a pressure difference of that much, It's a bent connecting rod in the cylinder with lower compression, however 180 PSI is really high for a 787 and 150 PSI sounds about normal. I would suspect a possible bad compression gauge. Also as mentioned, start it up run it for a few minutes, then shut it off and let it fully cool down (over night), then check it again.

-TheChad

Last edited by a moderator:
All good points. I took it in primarily to have the old deteriating lines replaced. The guy that was to replace the lines has done it a many times before, so I am confidant in his ability to do what was contracted, but he didnt want to spend my money if additional problems existed. He checked the compression and found the 150/180 scenario, and didnt want to proceed. I am no sure he has the diagnostic tools or confidence to figure our the 180 issue, I am fairly sure he is not SeaDoo trained. I will move forward with compression test number 2 as suggested. Just looking for forward thinking possibilities. Thanks - and yes I may need to move it to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back