1997 GTX Cranks But No Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

krock914

I have a 1997 Seadoo GTX with maybe 80 Hours on it. When i first got it, it ran beautifully for half a summer and then one day it just cut off. I have since changed all fluids such as oil, new gas, new spark plugs, new lanyard, new battery. The engine cranks, but never turns over. The Dashboard reads that the Battery 12V is low, which is weird because it is a brand new and charged battery. Recently, I tried to test the sparks from the coils. When cranking the motor - no visible sparks are coming out of the coils, but if you ground it with metal you can get a moderate to faint shock of electricity. Am i dealing with the sparks not producing enough electricity and would it relate back to the low voltage warning on the dashboard? If so, is it a matter of replacing the CDI Unit?

Sparks' spark... Open rear ebox where battery is and disconnect the white wire. Tap wire with light tester and hit start button to see I lights up. No mighty, no Sparky. If so, then your stator/pickup is bad..if it does light up, clip the plug wires at boots ends and try for spark(must connect wire back to coil)

And if it doesn't light up? I even thru a portable battery charger on the battery while starting it to see if it needed more juice to turn over but it just kept cranking.

DO NOT Boost the battery! You will fry the computer.
You can connect ti to a car battery but the car CAN NOT be running.

Understood, but is there any indication why my dashboard would be telling me I have low voltage with a new battery? I understand the previous response that maybe a portion of the wire may have gone bad and you can trim it back, but i was questioning if the dashboard warnings and the inability to turn over were related.

I could be a broken pickup coil mount on the mag side. Not uncommon. Quite often I get a 12V low light and it still cranks and starts.

Compression test may help this issue... kinda how my story was on the exact same ski.. thing ripped all the time then one day jumping some waves came down and boom.. cylinder went

Check the battery voltage while turning it over. It must be above 10.3 volts for the ignition to fire.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back