1997 GTX built

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this seadoo for 1000$ canadian. One rave valve was melted. Doing a winter project with it.The trailer is almost new. I really like the Shamu's GTX colors. So it will be pretty identical.

Attachments

• IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    644.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 192
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm regelcoating the bottom black. Here is my set up for now. I'm almost finish with the sanding. Here is the bottom before the sanding. I will post pics tomorow.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 144
Here is the tool that I made to remove the thru hull exhaust nut.
Took me 2 hours to do it but I will be able to use it for other applications.

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    859.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    803.6 KB · Views: 125
Engine need bore and new bearings in the crank.

Attachments

• IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
Nice project!. Man the back was thrashed. Nice RAVE too. So I have to ask. Do you ride it up to the base of the falls? The maid of the mist two stroke style? ;)

Nice choice of colors BTW. :thumbsup: Make sure you document doing it with pictures. Lots of people would like to see the color change process I am sure.

S'cribed. I love these GTXs, riding the infamous Shamu at lake norman was a blast from the past, lots of SML child hood memories

If you are going to all the trouble to re gel-coat the hull I would remove the shoe too. Just make sure you save and note any shims that are between the hull and the shoe. They have to go back in exactly the same location.

I have been busy sandblasting the engine case lately. I was preparing to put back the engine together but I discovered that one oil seal on the cb shaft is destroyed! I have two oil seal in my gasket kit but it seems hard to change! What do you think? Bring it to my seadoo machanic or buy a sbt cb shaft with new bearings and seal?

IMG_1251.JPG

Any machine or engine shop can press off the balancer weight and install new seals. Just make sure the mark the weight and shaft first because there are no marks from the factory.

Any machine or engine shop can press off the balancer weight and install new seals. Just make sure the mark the weight and shaft first because there are no marks from the factory.

In the Seadoo manual, it say you need a special tool for the bearing. I have a little 3 ton press at home that I can use but I dont have the special tool...

Gelcote is drying now. On the bottle it say sand with 600 then buff it. The gelcote is kind of a orange peal right now. I'm a little bit scare about the sanding that I will have to do....

I sprayed about 800 ml mixed with 10% acetone. Is it thick enought? Any chance I sand too much and the green show up again?

Hand sanding or air sander?

If you do it all by hand, you'll be at it for quite a while. I did the red back half of the side of my GTX a few days ago (the only part not dirty in the photo) and had about the same texture as you have got on your hull. It will get level, just be really patient, because I'd be lying if I said I got it right the first time. Any paper rougher than 400 will be almost impossible to buff out without sanding too deep (trust me).

What kind of gelcoat are you using? Is it waxed or are you using PVA?

IMG_2748.jpg

you need to go for 20mills thick, i always use pva over the top. Sometimes wax wont set up right and you have a mess.i hope that yours gets hard all the way

Yep what he said and I will add one more thing, do yourself a favor and get some Duratec clear, it mixes in 50/50 with the gelcoat on the final coat, it smoothes out the gelcoat, provides some gloss and cuts sanding time into at least half, I wouldn't dream of gelcoating the bottom of a ski without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back