1997 GSX no start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

repattil

I've got a 97 GSX that will not turn over by using the start/stop button. I have a new battery for it and it is fully charged. The starter will turn over if the hot wires are jumped across at the solenoid. I have tested the start/stop button according to the service manual, and it checks out good. All three fuses on the MPEM are good and there are 12V on both sides of each fuse. The fuse in the rear electrical box is also good. I have tested the DESS post and it showed good too. The grounds appear to be good and all connections to the MPEM are clean and free of corrosion. I tried checking the plugs for spark while jumping across the starter solenoid leads and there was no spark.

The buzzer was not working so I've replaced it with the radioshack buzzer. Now I still don't get any beeps when I put the key on but I do get one 1 second beep when I hit the start button.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid it might just be a dead MPEM, but was hoping there may be something little that I was missing.

Whats everyone's opinion on buying used MPEMs off of Ebay? They are quite a bit cheaper and come with a programmed key. That's a big plus for me because I'm 2 hours away from the nearest dealer

I have one with a key....PM me for info.

If the gauges come on like normal, it prob isnt the MPEM. The solenoid needs to be replaced.

If the gauges dont come on, unhook the VTS completely, check the fuses, and pull the connectors off the MPEM one at a time and look for corrosion. Then try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to reply and let everyone know that it was the MPEM. Minnetonka provided one and it did the trick. I ran a compression test and got 150 on both cylinders. I've still got a few things to do before it's ready for the lake (new fuel lines, carb rebuild, etc), but I'm alot closer thanks to you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back