1997 GSX electrical problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

p3v14

Hi everyone. Recently started having issues with my 1997 GSX. I was out on the lake and my rectifier went bad. I replaced the rectifier with an OEM used one and it ran great right after install, but coming back to it the next day, I found the battery was dead. I put it on the battery charger with the battery cables still attached and it would not charge the battery. Additionally, the battery cables and wires inside the rear electrical box were hot to the touch. I could also hear a distinct humming sound coming from what sounded like the stator. I quickly took the charger off, knowing that something was wrong. I disconnected the battery and put it on the charger itself and it held a charge just fine (Its practically a brand new battery). I had figured that the rectifier I had gotten was also bad so when I got home from the lake, I ordered one from SBT that had a 1 year warranty. This one did the exact same thing. I even checked the continuity on the stator and it all checked out, although I did do this with the front cover still on as I didn't want to take off the motor mount to get into it. I have a hunch that it is actually the stator because I'm at a loss for what else it could be. Any advice on what to check next or ideas on what it could be? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I even checked the continuity on the stator and it all checked out,

You had cked for a continuity to ground issue? Check each solid yellow wire, lead on one and the other lead on ground, see if you have a direct short. Unplug the rectifier to narrow it down, but not uncommon for them to fail shortly after installing, they tend to be a hit or miss to get a good one, especially aftermarket.

I concur on the AM rectifiers.....on my 3rd one so far, works for a while then no warning, rhyme or reason, nothing....voltage at the battery under RUNNING conditions starts bouncing all over the place.....I'm going to install a dedicated meter / USB port into the ski to watch the battery voltage while it's running.

I'm going to install a dedicated meter / USB port into the ski to watch the battery voltage while it's running.

I did this on the GSX, it's waterproof and has an amp meter to let me know when/if the auto bilge kicks in. Anything below 12.4 volts is a starting issue, creeps up to 13.6 - 13.9 when riding. Good way to keep an eye on the charging system if it fails and head back in before it gets too late..

20190917_185810 (1).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back