1997 GSI MPEM Problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethang

I have a 1997 GSI and I suspect the MPEM is bad. I can't get the engine to turn over using the start switch. I checked the switch and have 0 ohms when pressed. I checked the DESS post and it I get 0 ohms between the black wire and the black/yellow wire with the tether installed and infinite with it removed. I put a wrench across the starter solenoid and can get the engine to turn over that way. I checked the yellow/red wire in the rear electrical box and I'm not getting any voltage when I depress the starter button. The 15A fuse in the rear electrical box is not blown. I discovered that my MPEM has a 15A fuse installed instead of the required 5A fuse and I changed the battery out with an automotive battery while letting the original charge (I think this may have fried my MPEM). I don't know what else to check. I have discovered that my MPEM (part number 278000928) is very hard to find. Could I just use an MPEM (part number 278000916) and not plug in the connector that feeds the gauges? Oh and I know I have a bad beeper that I have yet to replace so I can't listen to the 8 beeps to tell me the MPEM is bad. Any other assistance on using other MPEMs or further troubleshooting would be very helpful. Thanks

First of all replace the beeper with one from radio shack or any other 12v beeper you can find just for now.
See if you get two beeps or not with the key on. If not. Troubleshoot key/post/programing issues first.

That mpem may be hard to find. But try @Minnetonka4me

Another possibility is rewiring at the mpem for another mpem style similar to the old grey boxes.

Question: If you leave the key off and press the start button, do the gauges light up for about 30 seconds ?

If you put the key on does the gage do the same? Usually a bad key, post or programing will act the way you describe and the beeper is the only thing telling you if there is a problem or not.

Two beeps mean good to go.
more beeps or some short/ some long beeps will mean certain things. That will lead you in the right direction.
Might just be a bad key or post...

The gauge is your friend, beepers are flakey. With the key off the post hit the start button twice and see if the Guage turns on. If it doesn't, check the fuses and corrosion on the rear ebox connector on top.

If you can't find anything you might have a dead mpem. I can bench test it and tell you for sure, I also have a replacement in stock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Sea-Doo Forum mobile app

Thanks for the help. My gauge is about as sun-damaged as it can get so its dead in place. I will replace my beeper today so that I can better troubleshoot. I don't believe its the post or key because I could get it to turn over with them 2 days prior. That being said, I definitely could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back