1997 gsi loses rpms

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

97 gsi

I just bought a 97 gsi with 40 hours on it. it ran perfect till the other day when it seemed to warm up it wouldn't open up. it usually opened up to about 6500 rpm and would hold it self there. now it will open it self up to 6500 but after about 30 seconds it starts to drop till it drops to 4500 rpm. let it sit for 10 minutes and it opens right back up but still does the same thing. changed fuel filter and wasn't the problem. any suggestions????????

RAVE's and filters

2 things to look at. Check your RAVE's and make sure the bottom part of the bellow is secure--mine were a little stretched and at full power the exhaust pressure would cause it to let loose which made the valve flutter or move up and down with a linear change in rpm. When I let off the throttle it would get a grip on the housing only to repeat it again when I got on the throttle. It only did this after it warmed up and I discovered it by swapping RAVE's with my other ski with basically the same motor. The other one is the tiny ( I mean tiny) fuel filter inside the carb's, they take a bit more to get at and make sure you index where the cables were bolted in. This was the first time I had touched my carb's in over 10 years and they really needed it. Better have a rebuild kit handy as well because it's easy to tear a gasket or o-ring. Hope this helps, cd

Last edited by a moderator:
2 things to look at. Check your RAVE's and make sure the bottom part of the bellow is secure--mine were a little stretched and at full power the exhaust pressure would cause it to let loose which made the valve flutter or move up and down with a linear change in rpm. When I let off the throttle it would get a grip on the housing only to repeat it again when I got on the throttle. It only did this after it warmed up and I discovered it by swapping RAVE's with my other ski with basically the same motor. The other one is the tiny ( I mean tiny) fuel filter inside the carb's, they take a bit more to get at and make sure you index where the cables were bolted in. This was the first time I had touched my carb's in over 10 years and they really needed it. Better have a rebuild kit handy as well because it's easy to tear a gasket or o-ring. Hope this helps, cd

To expand on the RAVE valves in case you haven't done it before, it is pretty easy. Here is a very helpful link to get you started. I highly recommend doing this work yourself because it is easy enough to do and quickly gives confidence that you can do more work on other things like, say Carbs!
http://www.theudells.com/PWC/other/rave/rave.htm

Mine looked like this:

Good carb rebuild guide from SBT:
http://www.sbtontheweb.com/pdfs/mikunisbn.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back