1997 GSI - Keeps losing electrical power??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwb3881

Hey there... I've tried searching this on past threads with no luck. I have a 97 GSI that randomly keeps losing electrical power. It's only been in freshwater, has approximately 170hrs on it. I've narrowed down to something in the rear electrical box, located near the battery. I would assume it's just a connection being loose or maybe corroded?? Is there something that has habitually caused problems on this model ski that could help me?? I'm at a loss honestly. Sometimes this problem happens on land and other times it has happened in the water... each time I have checked, the box is dry.

Help me someone please?!?!?! Thanks!!!

In the rear box remove the coil wire screws and check/clean the wires. Unplug the AMP connector on MPEM and do the same. Note ANY pin that is corroded and fuses & holders. Many times I found a mechanic wallowed open the pins holes with a probe.

Bills86e

Ok, I will try that. Do you know if this is a common issue with that ski?? Or is it just a general problem that happens randomly to all models??

It must be occuring often, we get a few people come here for answers, and incidentals. Have you ever before inspected your wire harness or clean & apply dielectrical grease on connections, fuses & fuse holders, ect? Wecome to the Forum! ANY electrical spike or any interruption of the electrical circuit shuts off the mpem. If your battery cable gets warm or hot while cranking, its probly internally corroded. This summer I have cut off Many lugs, soldered on new ones and marine shrink wrapped. Suggest you buy a new magnito cover seal, pull the flywheel and give a Stator a general clean. Cat-hair metal bits from flywheel-starter interaction can interfer the electrical signal & pulses, get rusty, ect.

The keys to success is fogging and regular maintenance.

Bills86e

I would guess a bad DESS post...but you should def follow Bills instructions. Very typically the grounds are all goobered up from standing water inside the back ebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back