1996 XP Wont do anything??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kable21

I have a 1996 Seadoo Xp 787 and I had the battery out of it for the winter to keep on trickle charge. I had started the ski about amonth ago and everything worked fine.

Today was a nice day and i was considering maybe taking it out so I put the battery fully charged back in. Well it was hard to see down in there and the battery i have has such small + or - signs makeing a stupid mistake i wasnt paying much attention to where the terminals were being plugged in , I herd some clicking sounds but assumed that was normal during initial contact of battery terminals, so i connected the battery cables up and put the key in no beeps or anything. I got my head in there and Realized the cables were connected backwards. So i hurried and unconnected and connected the right way Red-Positive, Black-Neg. and put the key in no beeps or lights/cranking Dead as a door nail, so i searched the forums on pwc today and others and some folks said the 5 Amp fuse could be blown on the MPEM. Took the lid off and sure enough the one Five amp fuse on the Mpem was blown, and the other 15amp on the mpem was good SO i replaced the Fifve amp with a new one and still no beeping or cranking?? Now im stumped is the MPEM Fried. Put a Volt meter on fuses and they were getting juice so it couldn't be the other 15 amp fuse in the black box near the battery no wires or anything anywhere look smoked??

Won"t crank

Are you sure you didn't forget to plug something back in? Many a person has installed the battery backwards, blown the 5 amp fuse, reinstalled the battery correctly, replaced the 5 amp fuse and then everything worked OK.
No harm was done to the MPEM.
DAWG

yes I have double checked everything numerous times, five amp fuse on mpem is good, both black negative cables are plugged into the nedative post including the little one coming out of the black box next to the battery the main fuse insde the black box next to the battery is good

Do the gauges momentarily turn on if you hold down the stop/start button? (no lanyard installed).
DAWG

me too

When I purchased my "broken" ski they had just replaced the battery. when I got it home it took me about an hour to notice it was in backwards. I turned it around and replaced fuses and all was good.:hat:

Has anybody figured out how to bypass an MPEM? It seems feasable....:stupid::stupid:

Anything is feesable... but how good are you with electronics? and is it worth your time when you can get aftermarket units... or used units for ~$200 (if you look around)

On the 800 motor... the CDI talks to the the MPEM, so it won't do anything until it gets the OK from it. On a 720 and smaller motor... the MPEM just grounds the CDI on the motor... so removing that line will the let engine fire... but you won't have a rev-limiter, and you can blow your engine without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back