1996 xp weak spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleB

Ok guys I have a problem. I searched the forum for weak spark but really didn't much info. I see where many have mentioned they have no spark but a weak spark is what I have. The 96 xp ran great for the day but as my son was starting to load it on the trailer it quit and would not start again. After many checks I discovered the front cylinder plug was fouled. No big deal I had a replacement and gapped it correctly (according to the shop manual) and went ahead and replaced both plugs. Tried to start her but she would not. She would only "putter" and then when the demand for power was applied she would sputter and stop. I took the plugs out and it seems that there is simply not enough spark to ignite the fuel air mixture in the cylinders. I checked the spark by grounding the plug on the engine block and sure enough I have a spark but it is very weak. Not blue like it should be but an orange spark. I checked my shop manual and it said that it could be a sheared key in the flywheel. for the love of pete I don't know how that could affect it but that's what it says. I'm thinking that it may be a bad ground somewhere or possibly an ignition coil. I want to start with simple first and work my way to the flywheel. What does the collective wisdom of the group think? Thanks.

Kyle

On a 96 XP... the key in the flywheel is irrelevant for spark strength since you have a DC-CDI. (it's only for timing)

The spark on a seadoo isn't very strong. If you can see it... it's probably fine. One thing to check though... is the ends of the spark wires. They are known to corrode, and loose spark. Take off the boots, and make sure the wire isn't burnt, or otherwise ugly. If it is... cut 1/4" off the end, and put the boot back on.

I would be more inclined that you have a fuel issue. Do you still have the gray "Tempo" fuel hoses??

Dr. Honda, Thank you for your reply. All of the fuel hoses have been replaced with Goodyear black fuel hoses so I don't think the hoses are the culprit. It's good to know that the flywheel is not the problem since I was dreading taking all that off. To me that is more of an off season project rather something I would o in the middle of summer. The spark plug wires are a great thought and I'll try that this evening. Do you think it may be an ignition coil since I'm getting some spark albeit not very strong? I checked the fuel flow as well as quality and didn't see any contaminants. In fact, when I take the plugs out they are moist with fuel on the ends again like I said like the fuel is not being ignited in the cylinder.Thanks again.

Kyle

You could open your ignition box, and check the coil over. Also, make sure all the grounds are clean and tight.

Ok I cut 1/2" off each spark plug cable and reinstalled the boot with dielectric grease. I also opened the ignition coil box and checked all the connections (no corrosion and all fittings were tight). While I was in the ignition box I also checked to see if a fuse may be the problem and they appeared to be intact ie. the filament was not burnt. The boat will start and have a rough idle but the instant I start to apply throttle she dies. I took the plugs out and checked them and re-gapped to .022, manual says .020-.024. The plugs had an oil/gas residue on them obviously from not being burnt throughly. So what do y'all think the problem is now? Could it be metal shavings in the stator? If that is the case why would it run at a rough idle to begin with? Would it be wise to put some starting fluid in the carbs to help with combustion and perhaps clean out some gunk that may have built up in them? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Kyle

I just had a thought. Could my problem be as simple as taking out the RAVE's and cleaning them? I know it sure wont hurt and that is a relatively simple procedure. Thanks.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back