1996 XP problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

erickolmstead

Hi Everyone! I am brand new to this forum so if I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about....you're probably right. Anyways, I have a 1996 XP I recieved from a friend; it was sitting for maybe 2 years. I recently replaced all the fuel lines, cleaned the internal carb filters, removed the gas tank and got the chunks out of the bottom of the tank and cleaned out the "cup" fuel filter above the gas tank. The ski goes approx. 45 at max, but only for a short amount of time. I mean I'm talking 2 minutes. Then it slows to 30 mph at WOT. I have checked and checked forums and nothing else is really out there besides those internal fuel filters and the gray fuel lines. Also, as of today when I let off the throttle and sit at idle it stalls. It just started doing this today after I changed the fuel lines. Are there any suggestions you guys have?

What is compression?
Have you checked the rectifier?(voltage regulator)? known to cause weird problems
What are your settings on your carbs?(high and low jets?)
What do your plugs look like?

Have you checked the water regulator on the muffler? is it leaking?
Are your RAVE valves ( the things with the red caps on them on top of the motor) leaking oil?
Have you taken them out to clean them or inspect them?

All i can think of at the moment lol

I cleaned my Rave valves, they were caked with carbon but not leaking, and my compression is about 150 on both cylinders. My plugs appear to be fine...not dark black..more of a golden tan. I have not checked my rectifier...how do I do that? My settings are 0 high 1.5 low.

IF the rectifier is bad it can make the ski act very strange.. bog down for no reason and so on.. you can test it on the water actually.. it is located in the electrical box in the front by the fuel tank. When on the water, unhook the red wire coming from it and go for a ride and see if the problem is still there. You can only do this for a short time because it basically makes the ski not charge the battery while riding.

Well... the damage may have already been done.

Since you have (had) the tempo fuel lines... the system IS clogged. If you run a 2-stroke lean... you WILL kill the engine.

So... when you changed the fuel lines... did you clean your carbs? I'm sure the internal filters are plugged solid.

AND... since the ski is new to you... service the oil system. It would be a shame to kill the engine because the filter is plugged on that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back