1996 XP Performance Resto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
THe best seat covers are the JetTrim. I prefer their standard texture, if you get their high grip ones you shouldn't ware it with bare skin as it is pretty rough and made for racing with wetsuits.

Fun for me... you guys know all this stuff already. :) I like diggin into stuff I don't know anything about and making it go. It's be much more difficult without the help I get from the experienced artisans on the forum.

Hey well you know, some people collect lots of cats as their hobby so this minor fetish is forgivable IMO.

I was going to do a wild color on the dirty jet ski. I saw a wicked Lime Green metallic I really liked. It was a 3 stage paint and I probably really expensive.

Paint it up like a fishing lure complete with scales and piranha-shark teeth, or ghost flames in paint that changes color from various angles! :) Man, I wish I lived close-by...

Well I am plotting my projects and I'd love to do this ski up right however, I inspected it recently and see that someone has "painted" this ski prior to installing the graphics. The color is too creamy for a seadoo and I don't know if the bottom was painted. Perhaps I should do some compound and wax to see what it looks like but I'm considering finding another hull in really good shape. Then again the bottom might ge gelcoat in which case I'll be more confused. LOL I did recently do another 96 XP in a well matched yellow. ANY THOUGHTS ??1996 XP Cleaner.JPEG1996 XP Clearner 2.JPEG

Last edited:
Here we go.... restoration will begin on this ski. Gonna pull the engine. Is there anything I should upgrade on the engine. I'm plan on keeping all the performance upgrades. I think this is gonna be a fun ski to ride. :) I'm still undecided about a paint job on the upper. As mentioned,it's been painted. It doesn't look that bad.

Well with any performance engine build your weak link is the crankshaft. So I would tell you only OEM for your particular build but sadly that’s not an option [emoji24][emoji22].

I would contact Competitive Crankshaft and see if they even do Seadoo cranks.

They still do oem rebuilds. I got one last year for my build and I'm doing spec 1 fps, novi carbs, msd, water injection, and probably run the solas x1 unless I can find a pump to fit this weird elongated skat prop that came with it. It's a 95xp, so I'll also have the pump spacer in there.
Mine looked so faded, I couldn't sand it out. Had to regel. Doing the bottom black and getting some sweet carbon fiber graphics. Here is a where im at today. I don't have what it takes to spray properly so I rolled the gel on.
f3b49582034ccb0728f2dc65f0832c5e.jpg

Last edited:
I have a buddy that has a fiberglass boat construction business. When I told him how difficult this was and I didn't want to do it on my RX he rolled his eyes. LOL Apparently there are some tricks of the trade. Ha ha. I really like and prefer the black bottom. Good Luck !!

They still do oem rebuilds. I got one last year for my build and I'm doing spec 1 fps, novi carbs, msd, water injection, and probably run the solas x1 unless I can find a pump to fit this weird elongated skat prop that came with it. It's a 95xp, so I'll also have the pump spacer in there.
/QUOTE]
Nope, not as of late this year, the rebuilt cranks from Seadoo are no longer available.

Had to regel. Doing the bottom black and getting some sweet carbon fiber graphics. Here is a where im at today. I don't have what it takes to spray properly so I rolled the gel

I'd apply at least 3 coats if you're rolling it on and changing color. Trial and error, I went through this on the 97' GTX changing it to black. The amount of sanding you'll do you need it thick enough so you don't sand through, even then be careful on the edges.

P1010194.JPG

That is VERY disappointing :( Hot Rods didn't have any 787 cranks either when I was looking. I called them and they didn't even know about the 787 motor. They had all other engine sizes though. Is WSM really the only option for a new crank now? I've snapped a WSM rod at 20hr before, granted it was on a rebuilt crank and my motor had a clogged cooling drain line, but still, that's never happened on any other crank given the same conditions. I stopped trusting WSM after that.

@GGuillot I did do about 3 coats. I used up about 2 quarts of gel on the bottom I think. It's on there thick. Can't wait to get it all shiny like that. Had I known I was going to regel the whole thing, I would have done black/white too. We'll see what I can do with yellow though :) Can't wait to get back around to working on it. Just got state-side and still unpacking the garage from hurricane preparations for the storm that never came.

Well... I scored this bad boy on one of the forums. Very cool and Just waht this ski needed. Got the electronics also and the Rev limiter is way up there. Not a race engine but good performance build. Not sure what I want to do with the ski when done as it doesn't fit my plan. I hated to see it go to waste so we are in progress.

787 Performance Engine (1).JPEG787 Performance Engine (2).JPEG787 Performance Engine (1).JPG

Well... I scored this bad boy on one of the forums. Very cool and Just waht this ski needed. Got the electronics also and the Rev limiter is way up there. Not a race engine but good performance build. Not sure what I want to do with the ski when done as it doesn't fit my plan. I hated to see it go to waste so we are in progress.

View attachment 48571View attachment 48572View attachment 48573
Throw it in your GTX but don't tell the wife. Then when you blow past her just say you changed the spark plugs.

Miki in response to your suggestion... :D LOL This is my GTX.... LOL

Attachments

• Gene GTX Engine Rebuild 2020 (1).JPEG
    Gene GTX Engine Rebuild 2020 (1).JPEG
    144.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Gene GTX Engine Rebuild 2020 (1).JPG
    Gene GTX Engine Rebuild 2020 (1).JPG
    578.5 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back