1996 xp more power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is wrong with it?

How does it run?

Does it just spin and not take off when you gun it?

That is the same ski I have and I could not ask for any more power. Could use a little more seating room and stability, but it is VERY quick and shoots out of the hole and airborne when I hit the throttle.

Got it to 55 mph night before last (testing my new speedometer pickup) and had a little more to go, I just chickened out because there was a little chop on the water, and 55 was too fast for that chop.

So, I think what you have is plenty powerful enough, but you may need to adjust something or replace a wear ring or something like that.

just wondering

well last time i took it out was when i blew the engine i think im going to just pick up a new sbt motor and drop it in for this season and its plenty quick i was just seeing if there was anyother ways to get alittle kick out of it. i dont need a new jetski im 19 and just want somkething to mess around on not something nice that will come later.

Well, in that case...

...mods would be similar to car improvements...

Shave weight off the bike and rider.

Better flowing heads and/or smaller compression chamber.

Better flowing exhaust (do they do this for skis?)

Bore and/or stroke it for more cubes/HP.

Change the pitch of the impeller, depending on if you want it to jump out of the hole faster (similar to increasing the rear gear ratio on a car) or higher speed top end (lower gear ratio).

Improve air flow, remove choke blades (not sure how much it helps, but both my go-fast toys have chokes removed).

And most of all, the best way to make a car or jet-ski faster is to add some High Performance Stickers!!! Because we all know the car with the JEGS sticker will outrun all the others:cheers:

better flowing exhaust? yes. sort of. the exh has to set up a pulse. sort of a pressure wave inside the expansion chamber. it has to stop the unburnt gas-air mixture from blowing across piston and out exh port while allowing the already burnt stuff to leave. it is a compromise of sorts. they all work better at some rpm's and worse at others. some of the new pipes have water injections that are computer controlled to make the motor think it is a lower rpm pipe so it even runs at low revs. then water shuts off at higher revs. you can always find some kind of "race" exhaust on ebay. usually as cheap as stock stuff. something tells me people find out they suck except at 65 mph and 8 grand. and wanna drive their doo like they did before. so they sell the fancy stuff. the head does not flow anything. it is a brick wall of sorts that air-fuel is mashed up against. the intake manifold is the crank case. you can mebbe clean up the edges of the intake ports at the rot. valve face. and make sure the rot valve cover matches the intake ports. don't grind the crankshaft smaller so more fuel flows by it. (DUH!) best and cheapest performance mod is get the wear ring back to orig condition. compound the hull until it shines. then use surfboard wax. surfers swear by it and they are running ZERO horsepower. that is about 110 less than you have.

I am a surfer...

Surfboard wax goes on TOP of the board, so your feet stick to it, not on the bottom for speed. The more bumpy and lumpy and sticky it is, the better. NOT for speed, but for "gription".

In the past, "way back" in the late 80s and early 90s, they sold a one-use cloth in a foil packet that you could wipe over the BOTTOM of your surfboard that would make it more slick and thereby faster. It was basically WD-40 or some other petroleum distillate and wore out pretty quickly from being exposed to the water. And was probably what was killing all those sharks and dolphins that used to wash up on the beach back then.

I used to wipe a rag wet with WD-40 on my board and it FELT faster...it wasnt:( AND it killed sharks and dolphins, I guess :confused:

Polish the ski, and use that wax that someone recently said added a little speed, but that is about IT for the hull, unless you redesign it completely.

Other than that, just tune up the motor you have, and if you don't like it, buy something newer, more powerful, with a more aero/hydro-dynamic hull, and go faster!

In my opinion if you are not satisfied with the speed of your ski then get an upgrade to a gsx or xp 130hp. The reason I say this is because it will cost you just as much to hop up your ski to get it to run 60mph as it would to just upgrade skis. The reason it would be better to upgrade the ski is because you will get more money back when you sell it. If you dump $1,500 into your current xp, you might get 30% of that money back at selling time. Buy a 97+ gsx/xp 130hp at a good deal (as there always are good deals on skis) and you could ride it for 2 years and get 100% of your money back out of it. Trust me, this is the best option as I have been thru this myself 1 1/2 dozen times in the last 10+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back