1996 Xp 800 stop when hitting a wave or randomly stops.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubves

Hey, i got a Seadoo XP 800 that randomly stops or/and stops when i hit a wave. there is also weak spark. its also starts right up on land but in water its pretty hard to get it started.

Could be a lot of things, so a couple of quick thoughts:
1) Hit a wave.....ski loses connection to the DESS post?
2) loose electrical connections?
3) hard re-start (#2) or weak battery

1 dess post is fine
2 it doesnt loose electrical connection either (or so i think) it just dies down and doesnt want to rev up again and then dies completly
3 its not wanting to fire? i think its the weak spark that does this. buy a new coil?

1 dess post is fine
2 it doesnt loose electrical connection either (or so i think) it just dies down and doesnt want to rev up again and then dies completly
3 its not wanting to fire? i think its the weak spark that does this. buy a new coil?
LOOSE electrical connections...not LOSE connections....23 year old ski, she needs love and attention...check everything for loose connections, rust, corrosion, etc....

Weak spark....could be ignition coil sure.....

ohh, sorry for my bad english. there is possible there could be loose connections but highly unlikely because i just installed a new MPEM and i went over everything yesterday :/ any other thoughts? now for the weak spark it could be coil and anything else?

I changed spark plug boots then it got a little better but i still thinks its pretty weak. Also worth mentioning is that when i go full throttle it goes maybe half throttle then all of the sudden full power comes after a bit. Carburetor? Or could it still be weak spark?

Last edited:
First, I would check all your grounds, starting of course at the battery, try to wiggle the cables at the battery posts. Then, inspect your rear electrical box, water gets in there and can corrode connections. Next, check the front electrical plug, for corrosion, male and female connectors, you may need a mirror, and also pry off the orange cap, that will allow you to see if the female connectors are corroded. After that, take resistance measurements of the trigger( pickup) coil. It is not unusual for that pick up to be cracked, and or loose, and when you hit a wave, it stops the signal and therefore spark.

Ground cable to the battery is a little «destroyed» but it is fine i think. All eboxes and cables are new (used) and seem fine to me, but the trigger you talk about is that the coil inside the rear eBox? That send the spark?

It’s the trigger on the front of the engine under the cover that signals the coil to spark. Like a crank position trigger.

I changed spark plug boots then it got a little better but i still thinks its pretty weak. Also worth mentioning is that when i go full throttle it goes maybe half throttle then all of the sudden full power comes after a bit. Carburetor? Or could it still be weak spark?
Quickly and simply (and I believe this info to be fairly accurate).....there is a pickup coil inside the engine cover that is getting a signal from the stator...that signal gets to the ignition coil (in the rear electric box - typically on a white wire) to fire the spark plugs. I have been informed that BOTH spark plugs fire simultaneously (a wasted spark system).

Since you say that the ski does run, albeit with shutoff issues, you are moving away from the spark/ignition coil as a potential problem candidate (BUT not entirely...there could still be issues there, of course)....you also state that the ski is "bogging" on the throttle....THAT typically puts us into the carbs.

Everything really has to be working in sync....fuel, spark, etc...for these machines to perform well and consistently....they ARE labors of love sometimes....frustrating OFTEN!

I ordered a new coil today ill see if that fixes the problem, if not i will replace the magnito or the trigger?

Quickly and simply (and I believe this info to be fairly accurate).....there is a pickup coil inside the engine cover that is getting a signal from the stator...that signal gets to the ignition coil (in the rear electric box - typically on a white wire) to fire the spark plugs. I have been informed that BOTH spark plugs fire simultaneously (a wasted spark system).

Since you say that the ski does run, albeit with shutoff issues, you are moving away from the spark/ignition coil as a potential problem candidate (BUT not entirely...there could still be issues there, of course)....you also state that the ski is "bogging" on the throttle....THAT typically puts us into the carbs.

Everything really has to be working in sync....fuel, spark, etc...for these machines to perform well and consistently....they ARE labors of love sometimes....frustrating OFTEN!

I did clean out the jets but maybe not correctly? But could it be not enough spark to ignite all the fuel? Could that be the reason for the bogging problem?

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem as you are having with a 96xp hitting waves and shutting off. I also had just replaced the MPEM. You know what it was....the ground wires inside the grey box (where the mpem resides) that bolt down to the grounding posts/grounding plate (inside the grey box) were loose. The nut on top of the ground post wasnt tight and when I hit a wave the grounding wires and their ring terminals would slip/move/whatever and the ski would shut down. Then it would start back up.....and the next "bump" or wave would shut it back down. Took me a while to trace it down to the loose grey box ground nut. Check yours....maybe its the problem.... maybe not.

No loose connections but ... see for yourself that ground wire may cause some issues? and some rust on that coil.

I've been thinking a bit, could it be the rectifier that is bad?

Attachments

• 4CE65564-0480-44C3-8BD0-9FDAE007B43D.jpeg
    4CE65564-0480-44C3-8BD0-9FDAE007B43D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 1C0DEAA0-9E1D-49BD-A83F-3864BE55A8E5.jpeg
    1C0DEAA0-9E1D-49BD-A83F-3864BE55A8E5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 6B176EDF-9DB6-45D6-BCD4-1F81D77CE0EB.jpeg
    6B176EDF-9DB6-45D6-BCD4-1F81D77CE0EB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Status