1996 xp 787

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrislangford

Runs but loses power and/or spark when the throttle is engaged... i used a spark plug tester and on idle it seems ok but when you rev it up the spark cuts out and it bogs...
fuel lines were changed last year, i checked the carb filter already... any ideas?..

I had the same issue the other day, and MINNE kinda has the right idea....he uses SOLID TIP SPARK PLUGS now, cuz he had the same problem...not saying this IS your issue, but its a cheap, quick way to see if thats your problem..
Mine was momentarily cutting out for a second or two during WOT or almost WOT, I got home, took the boots off the plugs, and sure enough, those screw on tips were loose, wiggling around, and almost completely off...tightened the caps ALL the WAY, and haven't had the same problem since..
Funny thing is, i drive pretty far to get spark plugs, cuz the last time i got some, the store 2 minutes away from me ONLY had the solid tip ones, and i passed on them....
Well now at least i know that those are the ones im gonna wanna get...
P.S.,
I also, did the whole "cut a 1/4" off the spark plug wire ends, then put boots back on with new tight zipt ties", so maybe that contributed to my fix as well, but this is something you MAY wanna check out and consider...

PROPS TO MINNETONKA4ME on this one...

well, its funny, b/c napa was closed, so i went all the way to advanced auto, and they had the screw on and solid tips...
the place that has the solid tips by me is ACE hardware (summerland ace), so i'm pretty sure any ACE would carry the same style..
i did only get the screw ons from napa, but i never asked if they had solid tips there..just give em a call and they'll let you know..

Manolocross - I had the same thought until i read post #3. The little silver tip on the top will unscrew. I assume solid tips will not be able tom unscrew. I've never seen them but will try to buy some in the spring of 2012.

correct solid top do not screw off.

I am going to g out on a limb and guess a few things...

Are you running Br8es plugs? If they are B8es, they will mess up the ignition sys.

Have you done a rectifier test? Put a voltmeter on the battery...should be 12.5. Start it and rev to about 5000rpm. The voltage should jump up to about 14volts. if it gets to 15+ replace the rectifier.

Otherwise its prob dirty carbs/ bad fuel lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back