1996 SPX No Signs Of Life

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof. Sloth

Hey guys, I've been working on my 96 SPX but I've exhausted all available YouTube tutorials. It was running great last summer and then one day, mid ride, it just died on me. There's no lights on in the console or any crank sounds. I tested my battery and it's fine so I tested the Starter Solenoid and am reading 12V going in and 11.6V coming out so it should be fine as well. Only other tip I've heard is that the starter could be bad but from watching Youtube, if the starter was bad wouldn't there at least he a click sound when I try to turn it off? Currently disassembling the exhaust pipe so that I can access the starter but just wanted to hear what you guys think.

Thank you!

First pull the spark plugs and gray rear engine cover and make sure you can turn the engine over by hand to make sure it isn’t locked up.

Then jump the two big posts on top of the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and see if it cranks over. This will send battery power directly to the starter and let you know if the battery, cables and starter are good.

First pull the spark plugs and gray rear engine cover and make sure you can turn the engine over by hand to make sure it isn’t locked up.

Then jump the two big posts on top of the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and see if it cranks over. This will send battery power directly to the starter and let you know if the battery, cables and starter are good.
Thank you for the help! The engine does turn perfectly fine. I jumped the starter solenoid and got big sparks and a loud thud (I'm assuming that's the engine trying to turn over). Does this mean I just need a new Solenoid?

If the engine turns over all the way by hand then a big thud when using the electric starter it would point to a bad starter.

Aftermarket ones are junk so you can usually rebuild the OEM ones.

If the solenoid doesn't click when pushing the button then yes it is bad.
But if jumping the posts doesn't crank the engine over fast then it's not just the solenoid.

If the solenoid doesn't click when pushing the button then yes it is bad.
But if jumping the posts doesn't crank the engine over fast then it's not just the solenoid.
Well, I haven't been able to get to the starter yet, but today I replaced the solenoid but still got 0V coming out. Checked the fuses and the 5 amp was blown again. Put a new one in and connected the battery and sure enough the 5 amp blew immediately. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back