1996 Sporster runs great on trailer...dies in the water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

amcherry

Okay, I have done a lot of work on this boat today so I will be as concise as possible. Here is what I have done: rebuilt carbs, replaced all fuel lines, added an inline filter, rebuilt pump (new wear ring, impeller, bearings, thrust bearing/washer, seals), rebuilt drive shaft (carbon ring, seals, etc...), new plugs. Initially was having troubles starting--realized that it was flooding and that my pop-off pressure was set too low (I had set them both to 35psi. I pulled just the PTO and adjusted the pressure back up to 45psi. The initial readings were 41 on the MAG and 49 on the PTO. After adjusting pressure up on the PTO and letting it dry out for a few hours, the boat fired right up. On the trailer it sounds great, throttle responds well--seems like it runs better than it has since I've owned it. Took it to the lake, it started and died, started and died, over and over. Hauled it home (about 30 min), thought I'd check the plugs and see if they were wet, decided to try to start it--fires right up and sounds great. I did notice a bunch of oily-gassy water shot from (I think) the exhaust.

Two things I've thought of: 1. the carb's are still flooding (though the plugs looked pretty dry). 2. The drive train is binding in some way. We had a hard time aligning/tightening the pump back to the hull with out it being completely bound up. Perhaps once it's under a load it cannot handle the added strain.

Any thoughts would be great!

Could you explain the pop off pressure? Is this a turbo or super charged motor?
To me pop off pressure is a turbo term.

Why I ask is because I have a 800cc that is a new re man motor and seems to be quite rich.

Don.

Could you explain the pop off pressure? Is this a turbo or super charged motor?
To me pop off pressure is a turbo term.

Why I ask is because I have a 800cc that is a new re man motor and seems to be quite rich.

Don.

:lol:
He says its a 96 but his avatar says 97?
Those years are two stokes non SC.
It should be running rich b/c it's a new motor? Are you still breaking it in???
Otherwise check oil injection cable

:lol:
He says its a 96 but his avatar says 97?
Those years are two stokes non SC.
It should be running rich b/c it's a new motor? Are you still breaking it in???
Otherwise check oil injection cable

Ya my 96 800 is just broke in maybe 15 hours on her max. It runs fine but some times when idling out she seems to load up and will want to bog or flood out around 3000 rpm's. I think I have it worked out now but I am guessing the poster above is talking about fuel pressure.

Cheers Don.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back