1996 spi starting issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rscarney

Recently got a 1996 sea doo spi project. Had not been in water for couple years, replaced mpem as it was blown. Rebuilt carb. Started in shop for about 5 seconds with slight rev-up on three different occasions. Took it to water and had to choke it started and died couple times. Dd get it to start and rev up a few seconds. Then it would start and die right way. Then it went to make a sound like the starter was not able to turn due to low battery. The battery was new in may. Charged it overnight next day went out and same sound when trying to start. Took plug out of mag side and it will crank, put it back in and sounds like starter/ battery weak. Cleaned all battery terminals and cables no change.

Any suggestions would be great. Acts like timing is off but why dry land starts and hard starts in water?

A new battery doesn't mean anything. Over the years... I've see an bunch that were bad "out of the box." So... put a meter on the terminals, and try to start it. If the voltage is sagging down below 10.5v... it's not happy.

BUT... the starter may be tired too. So... I would take the starter out... and clean it. (Assuming it's an OEM)

Even if the battery is perfect, you need to KNOW it is so that you can move to the next logical item.

DO as Doc said, if it stay near 12 volts then move the tester to the hot side of the solenoid and crank it again. Then the output and crank it, then at the starter and crank it. If the voltage is goo all the way, then you likely have a bad starter. If it drops at any of the test points, then it is the cable or the connection at that point.

Thanks guys for the help. I am getting 11.6 at battery drops to 10.9 and and 10.8 on second push of start button. Get the same at hot side of silonoid. Out put side is only .4 and .2 same at starter. I replaces the solenoid with used one as a precaution do to mpem being blown. Put original solenoid in and get same results. I pulled starter and cleaned brushes looked good. Have put on new battery cables both from battery and from grey box to starter. Still get same readings?????.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back