1996 Seadoo Xp starting issue.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Rosey0228

Hey everyone! i’m new to the forum so not 100% sure how to go about this but I’m in need of some help on my 1996 Sea-Doo XP. A little background I bought this as a restoration project and I’ve been working towards bringing it back to life. I had all the work pretty well wrapped up while and I ran into submiss shoes, when going to start the machine I am hearing a quick come from the rear electrical box. Upon inspection I figured it was the solenoid and decided to cross it with a screwdriver to see if I could get the engine to turn over it worked fine. After crossing it once or twice I tried again and it just sparked the engine will not turn over. Battery is charged it’s a brand new starter that has been recently bench tested and I replace the solenoid. After putting the new solenoid in charging the battery and trying to start I am noticing cables are getting very hot and even some smoke coming off the solenoid as well as off the negative battery terminal. I have checked both the fuses in the rear electrical box and both 15 amp fuses are in good shape. Looking for any help regarding hot cables and terminals as well as some smoke and clicking coming from the solenoid even after being replaced twice. I appreciate any and all help as I’ve never ran into this issue in the past. 3319802A-FC21-4FBB-AC5A-F59742345060.jpeg

Attachments

• D261051E-FC4F-4634-84EE-529B98BEEAB5.jpeg
    D261051E-FC4F-4634-84EE-529B98BEEAB5.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DAE418BC-B9A3-4E07-B6C0-8F4F42C4B4AE.jpeg
    DAE418BC-B9A3-4E07-B6C0-8F4F42C4B4AE.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 8
Pull the spark plugs and see if it turns over. Try turning it over by hand. What brand Starter did you get?

Okay I will pull the plugs tomorrow and give it a try. Will also turn it by hand when the plus are pulled. Was turning over fine prior to this click. The starter was purchased from total parts canada. Worked great when it was first installed. Also put one on my gsx that works great.

Back