1996 Seadoo Speedster.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

yowell

Left engine "slipping" after 3-4K

Right side only revs to ~3K rpm. ** EDIT** found it "shaft protector" What is the name of that plastic "Sleeve" over the shaft?

I pulled the intake protector off and felt the wear ring, feels and looks smooth. the "props/impellers" have very small dings but seem OK???

** Edit to add ** getting a lot of water in engine compartment.

left right play.jpg

Both sides carbon ring area has a lot of play, can move the rubber sleeve 1/4-1/2 inch.

Left side..jpgright side.jpg

Last edited:
First of all it looks like your carbon rings need to be replaced. Those rubber sleeves should be tight. If they are real squishy I would replace them. Sometimes you can get away with tightening them up by loosening the clamp in the bottom of the picture and push it towards the engine a bit. You can put a tie wrap behind it to keep the space.

First of all it looks like your carbon rings need to be replaced. Those rubber sleeves should be tight. If they are real squishy I would replace them. Sometimes you can get away with tightening them up by loosening the clamp in the bottom of the picture and push it towards the engine a bit. You can put a tie wrap behind it to keep the space.

Thanks for reply, I have two kits ordered. Is that Shaft Protector, that is missing, important?

I have a 96 speedster and never saw a shaft protector!

BTW bad carbon rings will cause cavitation (the slipping you are talking about) and water in the hull.

Also, there is a rev limiter when in neutral (about 3K). If you're in forward and it still only goes to 3K you may have a bad neutral safety switch. See if you can start the motors in forward to confirm. You should get a long beep and it shouldn't start if the switch is good.

I have a 96 Speedster. Is this the security key switch to the left of the wheel? My manual shows an actual separate neutral safety switch but my model doesnt have that. Bare with me, im a new owner......

No, the neutral safety switch is with the shifter/throttle assy. The security key or DESS is programmed for each boat. You need that to start it.

Thanks for the replies, new carbon ring kits are in, hope to install them and try it out Tuesday, will update...

Also, there is a rev limiter when in neutral (about 3K). If you're in forward and it still only goes to 3K you may have a bad neutral safety switch. See if you can start the motors in forward to confirm. You should get a long beep and it shouldn't start if the switch is good.

I don't think this is a problem, it would affect both engines, yes? the other revs up to 7-8K...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back