1996 Seadoo SP Impeller

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian5308

Hey everyone! I just bought a new jet pump and impeller (jet pump was all parts included minus impeller) and went to put the new impeller on there and it is SUPER TIGHT. It will spin, but not freely. I tried my old impeller and it spun on and spun freely??? It was very easy to spin the old one on versus the new one I used the tool the entire time. What could be wrong??

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

Does your new pump have a new wearing? I have used after market wear rings, and the prop is a very tight fit...seemingly almost binding, the prop should have the same outer diameter as any other prop for that pump. Perhaps you locked up the thrust washer as you tightened the prop? I would remove the prop, remove the shaft, and slide the prop inside the wear ring and see how it fits. When you reinstall the prop, make sure you are continuously spinning the prop, and also lifting the pump up and down, there are a few mm's of up and down play. (The pump of course sitting vertically in your vice). If you are not able to lift the pump up and down as you spin the prop, unscrew the prop and start again.

UPDATE:
So new jet pump with all parts included. Then, new solas impeller. After getting everything back together (which felt tight but was told that is natural with new parts) I take it out on the water today and my initial acceleration was impressive but I feel that its not getting into its top end?? Like its either in a bind or the carb is somehow now out of sync???? Any ideas??

That new prop should spin as freely as your old one. I would remove the pump, and start at square one. You must remove this prop binding issue before you blame carburation.

It’s really easy to pinch the thrust bearing in the pump and ruining it.

The impeller should spin by hand.

To install the pump without pinching the bearing put the shaft in a vise then the thrust bearing on the shaft then the washer on the shaft then put the pump over the shaft and screw the impeller on while everything is still in the vise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back