1996 seadoo GTS engine does not stop with SAFETY LANYARD

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reed within the DESS post may be stuck down. Tap on it with a screwdriver handle and see if it shuts off or affects the engine. If so, replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 1996 Seadoo and the safety lanyard when pulled does not stop the engine, Does anyone have any ideas?

The ignition post (aka DESS post) where you place the key is where you want to start looking. To test it, on the backside of the post you will see three wires (black, black w/yellow trace and white w/grey trace) that go to a weather pack connector.

Uplug the post harness at the connector, you'll need a test meter set to take a continuity check and your lanyard key. To test the switch, with the key off the post you need to probe the connector pins for the black and black w/yellow trace wire there should be no continuity between the two.

Now place the key on the post and test the same two pins again, you should have continity betwen them with no resistance. If you find continuity in the circuit on the first test with the key removed from the post you know the switch has failed, it is designed to close via a magnetic reed only when the key is on.

The 96 GTS is not a DESS. It is just a switch. I would guess it only has two wires, but I have never checked mine. Does this affect the advice given so far?

96 was an "option" year for the DESS... I simply assumed it was for some reason. But in either case, if it is a DESS, do as we suggested above. If it is just a snap on lanyard, then unplug the switch and see if there is continuity. If so, the switch is bad.

I test the switch and it works like it should, So the switch is good and it is just a two wire system.

Go ahead and plug the switch harness back in and test again all the way to the connections at the module for the black and black w/yellow trace next, here's a wiring diagram to help you.

278.jpg

Thanks for the help!

I did test it at the MPEM box and the switch worked just like it should, Is it a bad mpem ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help!

I did test it at the MPEM box and the switch worked just like it should, Is it a bad mpem ?

Quite possibly, I keep some loaner MPEM's around for service customers and I know there's at least of couple of the DESS equipped ones here I can just program a DS chip into a harness to keep the security side of it happy to plug into your ski so it works with the two wire post.

I'm five minutes from Niles if your close come on by and try it won't cost you anything, you'll know for sure that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back