1996 Seadoo Challanger --- block cracked --- need advice.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I purchahesed a 96 Challenger from a friend of mine. I never ran the boat. He needed $$$ and it was cheap so I took it. Long story short, he took it to get running this week and was told the block was cracked. Gas and oil shooting out of the block. The mechanic told him he needs a block for a 180 ? I can't find anything about a 180 block. It has the 110 engine.

Anyone know what info I need to off the engine or block to locate a used block and where can I find one ? Also what should it run for a block ? and possible repair cost? I don't know if its worth fixing or not value wise.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Last edited by a moderator:
The engine cases don’t normally crack unless there is something very wrong.

If it is just a crack, take it out, and have it welded… if it’s more than a crack… look on eBay for a used case.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't seen the crack or leaks --- my friend told me what the mechanic said. The mechanic told my friend it can't be welded since it's aluminum ?

Is it called a case or a block? And how do I know which ## engine or case I need ?

Thanks

You should have a single 787 (called the 800) engine. And who ever told you that you can’t weld aluminum... needs to be slapped!!! Aluminum is very easy to weld. I do it a few times a week at my shop. The only metal that really can’t be welded very well is cast iron. (but that is a debate for another day)

The cylinders are known to crack if the boat isn’t winterized. Basically, the water in them freezes, expands, and splits the cylinder. But there isn’t any water in the cases. (what you are calling a block) When the case cracks something mechanical broke it. (like a connecting rod, or a bearing that broke)

You should see the engine tag on the mag housing with the engine type.

I need to call the mechanic i guess. My friend had it in an unheated warehouse and says it doesn't get that cold in there --- i told him he's nuts. It has to be freezing in there if its unheated. He didn't winterize it i'm sure.

I will talk to him today and get more info on what the damage is.

Thanks

cracked case

Hi Tony,

I finally talked my friend. He said it is the 800 engine and that the case is cracked not the cylinder. He said a piston went at some point, he pulled it apart, bored it out some and put in two new pistons. He took it out on the water and it shut down soon as he took off,--- something about it jumped the rotary gear. The mechanic he took it too fixed the rotary issue and when he fired it up, that's when he saw the gas and oil pouring out of the case near the crank i think. He said near the bearings.

So --- any suggestions? I don't know anything about these engines.

Thanks,
Al

I own my own weld shop and you can weld aluminum , But It depends on where its cracked , If its at any mateing surface it still may be welded but will have to be machined to resurface the mating area. Crank cases don't crack easy but it can happen. Mostly cylinders. The best way would be to pull the block, seperate cylinders and take the case out and have it zyglowed(magnaflux) to find the crack, This is a flouresent dye that you apply to a area of question and then take a blacklight and inspect , the crack will show up as the dye penetrates the crack with the light (if not visable by eye) But this needs to be done so you don't over look something and get it put back together to find you have to tear down again.

PHILLY...go get yuor ski, because a mech/mach shop, that can tear a little motor down, but NOT no, that you can weld aluminum, then i'd ? the integrity of his "rebuild".

If you cant tear it down, find another shop, tell'm the prob, and see what the say for $$$. Depend'n on size crack, i'd think, no more than half/hr labor charge...

I'm get'n 787 welded up for 35 buks (3in crack)

Thanks for the replies !!

I never took possession of the boat. It's been in my friends garage since I gave him the money. I didn't really want the boat, but he needed $$ and I figured for the cheap price, I'd take it. I don't know who the mechanic is or anything about his shop.

I guess I will need to ride up and just get it and bring it home and find someone locally to fix it. I just don't want to invest a lot of money in it. For the $$ I paid, it was worth it to me, but I didn't wanna get into it for a lot more.

There is a crank case on ebay for $195 --- is this the part I would need if the case is bad? And is it easy to tear down and rebuild ? I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I have been working on cars since is was a kid. So at least 25 years now. I just don't know much about boats and never worked on one except to put a starter in one years ago. Here is a link to the ebay crankcase. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0213943855&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks,

It’s not a hard job to swap the case… but it does take some time. The two things to watch for are… the engine needs to be lined up with the driveshaft again. (requires a special tool) and make sure the engine cases are sealed well.

BUT… like I said before… if your case is cracked… there are going to be other problems inside the engine, so be prepared to do a full rebuild. You may just want to find a used engine that runs, and swap it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back