1996 sea doo xp battery questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
no snow to ride sleds in adirondacks so time to get skiis ready for summer. noticed my one battery is dead in my 1996 xp. does a bad battery hurt performance while running jet ski or do you need a battery just to start it? i still have not figured out the delayed takeoff from stand still when i put throttle to the handle bar. i asked this same question in the summer last year but nothing worked. i lowered idle jets and helped a little but it just dont take off . top end is beautiful , i just dont have a hole shot. i would rather have a hole shot than top end. gets boring going 60 . how can i make it a good wave jumper. different prop? which prop and will it hurt engine ?

The battery is needed to start it.
The charging is weak and won’t bring up a dead battery, not like a car alternator.

You have something wrong, these have a ton of holeshot. Is it a bog then it goes or does the engine rev and the ski doesn’t move?

its a bog. i tried choking it when i floor it but just floods out so i believe it is getting plenty of gas. i squeeze throttle all the way in and count to 3 and then it goes. not arm pulling power but goes. i would give anything to figure out problem. my 2000 xps is kind of a dog as well, but a little better. i want that hole shot so bad. been shopping for a blaster just to get hole shot.

the wear ring is oem and new, prop is mint, carbs are clean, new check valves, can the rev caps be adjusted? the one rev cap keeps breaking on the motor and leaking a little black oily stuff. i have replaced it twice and then i replaced the housing but did not test it. and yes gas lines are all new

Any ski will bog if you just hammer the throttle to wide open from an idle. It takes a little time for the carbs to start pulling fuel. It shouldn't be seconds but it does happen.

I am not sure if you have a problem or are just mashing full throttle.

Carbs rebuilt with new genuine mikuni parts? Including needle and seats?
Cranking compression?
If rave caps are breaking then you have an issue.

yes carbs rebuilt with mikuni. yes new needle and seats . compression 150 on both exactly. i did replace housing that valves go in to fix caps from melting. also replaced bellow. maybe there not as quick as i expected and maybe u are right about not being able to mash throttle. it litterally was a 3 second count to when it took off. i read there is jet ski fest end of june on my lake and ill try to find someone with an xp to compare. thanks for your help.

one last question. when i bought it it had the best acceleration (rode it for 2 hours) then mr mechanic on my street said to clean the carbs, which i did, it had 2 different spark plugs in it and the mixture screw was set differently on each carb. either the guy i bought it of was a genious or he got lucky. are my plugs supposed to be gapped or just throw in the recommended plugs without doing any thing to them? and have you ever heard of mixture screw being set up differently on each carb?

I would double check your carb settings. I like to set my stock boats to a small fraction out from factory settings. If carb setting is supposed to be set at zero, i set it at 1/8 of a turn out. It also depends if you have flame areestors or anything aftermarket on engine. As for spark plugs, i just take the ngk br8es out of box and install. I dont gap. Maybe trim spark plug wire back to ensure you have a good spark. Is it possible its ‘loading’ up?

The screws should be the same and I too just throw in new BR8ES’s straight from the box.

When you rebuilt the carbs, did you spray carb cleaner through the pilot screw and watch it come out of those 3 little transition ports in the carb throat? Did you change the needle springs? Did you measure you pop-off pressure before you rebuilt it? What's it at now? Might be too high, and you may be getting too much fuel at takeoff. Engines run really good a little lean, but they run hot, hence they blow up. If you were experiencing a slight lean condition, I don't think it would bog, but there is no getting around a rich condition unless you introduce extra air. Getting carbs to work right is an art on these 787's. I had that low-end bog almost the entire time I owned the ski, and most of the time I was at or close to factory specs. I think if I had it now, I'd try a really high pop-off pressure, like 60, and see what that does.

I believe pop off pressure was 38 . They were both set at the same. I believe ski is getting to much fuel. I put in a lower pilot and it was a little better. Thinking of dropping pilot size again. So lower pop off pressure gives it less gas or more? What color spring for 60 pop off pressure?

Other question is will a weak stator cause bad take off? I will clip wires first and try that. Can I take stator off without removing motor?

Higher Pop-Off gives less fuel. As for colors, Mikuni has their color code which can be found online. I've seen the same color springs give different results. I probably have some aftermarket springs mixed in my carb parts bundle. Just test each one until you get the results you seek.

I haven't had experience with bad stators, what makes you question whether it's bad? I think rectifiers were more a culprit item on these 787's, but again, I've never dealt with a bad stator or rectifier. Word is, to test a rectifier, you can just unplug the red wire on it. It's located in the grey box next to the fuel tank.

yes jets were correct. everything is stock. i just lowered jet size to test and it did help. rectifier is good on it. my spx needed a new one. it has stock flame arrestors. i just thought dust or magnet crap could get on stator and loose a little of its spark

the only thing and i mean the only thing literally i have not done is trim the plug wire which paul bretz brought up. ive shot enough air and sprays through the carbs to garuntee the carbs are clean. and i will try stiffer spring to raise pop up pressure. so 2 things.

Ive only seen bad stators causing low voltage charging issues. And rectifiers are common but usually cant get over 3000 rpm from engine, acts like a rev limiter

If your ski is all stock it will run perfectly on stock jetting. If you have to change the jetting something else is wrong. If it is super rich something in your carbs is wrong.

Compression is good? Squish is good? Rotary clearance and timing is good?

Squish is how close the piston gets to the top of the dome. It's checked by crushing a piece of solder by the piston crown against the head at the edge of the dome. Rotary clearance is how much space your rotary valve (RV) has between the RV cover and the block. Also measured by crushing solder and comparing resulting thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back