1996 GTX Weird Stuff

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
My 96 GTX that gives me trouble starting up in the mornings. I have a battery switch installed that I leave in the OFF position when the ski is not in use. When I turn on the switch and give voltage to the ski and insert the key.... it won't turn over. When it sits a few minutes I go back and give it a try... it turns over and starts. I'm wondering if I need to begin chasing wires. The ski did this before I replaced the entire gray box. I am pretty sure I replaced the DESS post. The reason I replaced the gray box was that I could not get the ski to turn over at all. When I replaced the Gray Box the ski started right up. These failure to engage the starter symptoms are part of an obviously existing problem that I did not address totally with the gray box replacement. Input would be appreciated. Every time I check the DESS post with the meter it checks out good. The ski actually sees me depressing the start button because I hear the holder relay clicking.

Last edited:
Process of elimination, I'd start with bypassing the battery switch. It may be limiting the current you need when you first turn it on. Or just leave it switched on, only when you switch it off? I've gone a couple weeks with it sitting and the battery connected, no ill effects. Now over the winter...I'll just disconnect.

Gonna replace the rectifier. Rough weekend in the Gulf of Mexico. I gotta give it to SeaDoo.... those skis can handle some rough water. When we went to load up my cousin and I went to the back bay for a bit. I didn't have to tell him to open his up. We tore it up for about 20 minutes before loading the skis. He loved it !! I kept waiting for a Porpoise to come up and try to knock me off the ski. They stayed around us and I was on the look out. LOL

You did not mention if you get the 2 beeps when you attach the key. Also if the gauges light up when you attach the key or just press the start button with no key. If all those things check out, I would check the start relay and it's connections in the rear electrical box.

I may have posted on another thread. I replaced the rectifier then used my new nifty wire plug separator tools to take the wires out of the DESS Plug first. I cleaned the male and female ends very well. I found some dirt in one of them. I checked the other wires coming from the switch as well and gave them some clean up. The ski fired right up every time I tried it. I think the problem was the dirty plug but till I get it on the water I won't know if the power loss cause was/is the rectifier. I'm feeling good about it though. :)

On a side note, my beeper beeps once every summer but the ski still works great. :) I don't think the lights were coming on at all when I was having issues. It was like.... "nothing" happening here. :D

I may have posted on another thread. I replaced the rectifier then used my new nifty wire plug separator tools to take the wires out of the DESS Plug first. I cleaned the male and female ends very well. I found some dirt in one of them. I checked the other wires coming from the switch as well and gave them some clean up. The ski fired right up every time I tried it. I think the problem was the dirty plug but till I get it on the water I won't know if the power loss cause was/is the rectifier. I'm feeling good about it though. :)

On a side note, my beeper beeps once every summer but the ski still works great. :) I don't think the lights were coming on at all when I was having issues. It was like.... "nothing" happening here. :D

So you're still not getting the two beeps? If so, why not? Press start button with no lanyard on DESS post the gauges come on, lanyard on, two beeps then press start button it turns over. I'm confused about the issue, this is not happening?

Are your beepers old? I haven't had a good one all summer and have replaced 3 original ones.

That ski just doesn't beep. I don't argue with it. Might be an info center issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back