1996 GTX Dark Water & very smokey exhaust

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cleid

Hi, I purchased a 1996 GTX Sea Doo about a month ago. Before purchasing it I test drove it in the lake for about 15 minutes. Now when winterzing it I noticed dark water and very smokey exhaust. After watching many videos on You Tube guys runing their Sea Doo on land water with water hose connected I notice hardly no smoke or dark water from there unit. My Sea doo starts every time on the frist try and idles well. The Sea doo runs fine in water and on land (water hose conntected). so why is it smoking and spitting out black stuff from the exhaust?

Welcome to the seadoo forum cleid. It is possible that from sitting it has some seepage into the crank seals from sitting so lone. If it runs ok I wouldn't worry about it to much till spring. If you wanted to you could do a compression test to see what's going on inside. The compression should be 150 ideally.

Karl

Rotary seals?...

Welcome to the seadoo forum cleid. It is possible that from sitting it has some seepage into the crank seals from sitting so lone. If it runs ok I wouldn't worry about it to much till spring. If you wanted to you could do a compression test to see what's going on inside. The compression should be 150 ideally.

Karl

I agree with Karl. You can't judge your ski from watching someone elses on youtube. It does sound like Karl's right in suggesting that you might have some seapage of your rotary seals into your crank area.

The black? When the seals first begin to leak, your able to burn it off through your combustion. But, your depositing carbon all along the exhaust system so when you are flushing, you'll probably see some blackish deposits come from the exhaust system.

Like Karl said, if it's running good, I'd not worry about it. Do the compression test. Monitor how much oil is being used from your oil tank. Make a mark on the side with a sharpie. For the winter months, pinch your oil line going to the rotary chamber so you don't have that constant head pressure on it for the time it's just sitting up. The oil line you need to pinch is the one coming from the bottom of your oil injection tank, going to the side of the engine. You'll have two, one for the injection pump, which has a filter on it and then, the other one that leads to the chamber........:cheers:

Thanks Karl and Seadoosnipe

Purchasing a Sea doo at the end of summer is pain full, the fall and winter months is just to long. I will do a compression check next week and will update you.

Thanks again for the quick reply guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back