1996 GTI Won't start after gas refill

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hcrawford

Fairly new member here but this looks like a great board!

I have a weird problem here. I just bought a pair of 1996 GTIs from my neighbor. Won't talk about the other one right now (another problem, right now it's busy frustrating the neighborhood SeaDoo mechanic).

So, 3 weeks ago, I take out the GTI on the lake, no problems. I bring it in so my daughter and boyfriend can take it out, fill it up with gas and oil - and - surprise - it won't start. All but wind the battery down cranking it. We try it the next morning, still no luck.

I head out of town on business, 3 weeks later I come back, charge the battery, put the key in, and it starts up without a hitch. Run around the lake for 45 minutes, start and stop the motor, testing idle. A little stickiness on the throttle but nothing to cause concern. Park the boat. Had dinner, went out again for a few minutes, no problems.

This morning - I put gas in the engine. It does a very slight "vroom" when I first crank, then nothing. At all. Engine turns over but won't catch.

I can only guess that the gas intake is sucking up something after a fillup, causing it to not start, but otherwise I have no clue. Suggestions appreciated! The ski was tuned when I got it 2 months ago (I assume that just means changing the plugs and battery, and a light inspection).

As an update - just to show you how peculiar this problem was.....

Talked to a few mechanics - one suggested that the fuel vent was blocked by insects (very possible - we have a lot of mud daubers in our area). No luck. Finally, after a lot of cranking the engine started - slowly at first, then finally (after about 10-15 minutes) rose above a fast idle to be useful. I let me daughter run around on the lake with it for a bit, then she brought it in so we could top off the gas. As an experiment, we kept the engine running while I filled it in the water. As it was almost full, it started having trouble, and then cut off completely when I put the cap back on!

Only other hint in all of this - there was a distinctive gas smell in the engine compartment. I checked the lines around the engine and carbs but everything looked okay.

Well, after more cranking I get the engine running again, then drive it to the neighborhood dock to pull it out of the water and tow it to a new mechanic (I thought if another set of eyes checked it out it would help). Gas smell was stronger than ever.

The mechanic called me 10 minutes after I dropped it off to tell me what the problem was - the neck of the gas tank had cracked - essentially leaking gas (especially when full) and choking down the engine. I'll need a new gas tank to fix it. Repair should run around $500. But at least it will be fixed!

Thanks to those who checked out this thread to deal with a weird problem!

I have read where there is a recall on tanks for this issue. I don't know if your model is covered, but it might be worth checking into. Might save you some $$.

As an update - just to show you how peculiar this problem was.....

Only other hint in all of this - there was a distinctive gas smell in the engine compartment. I checked the lines around the engine and carbs but everything looked okay.

Well, after more cranking I get the engine running again, then drive it to the neighborhood dock to pull it out of the water and tow it to a new mechanic (I thought if another set of eyes checked it out it would help). Gas smell was stronger than ever.

Strong smell of gas in the hull and you attempted to start the engine? Please don't ever do that again. You are lucky to be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back