Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanW1313

Hello All,

New ski owner here. Bought this ski and went through did basic tune up cleaned fuel filter, changed oil injection filter, changed spark plugs, replaced starter relay. Running full tank of non-ethanol premium and seadoo mix oil. Took the ski out on the lake the other day and after some hesitation at first (probably small amount of old gas left in tank) it finally ran good and got up on a plane at full speed. ran it through the different throttle levels and all seemed good. On my way back to the beach all of a sudden the ski bogged down like it had a governor on the engine. If I held the throttle wide open it would barely get on a plane and would run at 20% power. Towed it back to the beach at low speed and checked the plugs (ok). at first it would not start, but after sitting for about 15 min it fired back up and ran fine to get it to the trailer.

Since then I have found that the rubber grommet on exhaust between cone and tuned pipe was loose as well as the previous owner had double gaskets on the manifold to tuned pipe connection. Fixed all that, ran on hose and it seemed to idle good on the trailer, I have good water stream out of the pisser in the back and plugs look good. If i let it run for about 5 min or so on the trailer it slowly starts to decrease in idle RPM? I tried running on RES and ON position as well as running it with the fuel cap off as i have read that the tank vent could cause this and it didn't seem to change anything. Only thing that I have not done on this ski yet is a carb rebuild and fuel lines as it has the Grey tempo lines on it still, but I don't think that that is my immediate problem as it ran great for 15 min before it started acting up. Could it be something electrical? I am lost and want to figure out what it is before i start dumping more money into the thing.

The gray fuel lines are most likely your problem. Your filters are probably partially clogged. Your running out of fuel. Time for fuel system overhaul. Rebuild the carbs with oem kits, needles and seats. New fuel lines. Your going to melt your top end if u keep running it like that.

If it was running lean wouldn't the plugs show that? They were wet and looked good when i pulled them after this happened?

You may have something else going on but your playing with fire until u redo the fuel system. Don’t forget to change the fuel selector. Check your charging system while your at it. Put volt meter on the battery while revving to 4000 rpms. You should get 13.5-14 volts.

Definitely sounds like a lean condition. I would consider doing a compression check just for the sake of it as well. You mentioned that you changed your oil injection filter, but you also say your running a tank of non-ethanol premium and seadoo oil? So are you running the oil injection and premixing your fuel? If thats the case, that would cause your plugs to look wet, its also further leaning out your fuel mixture. As said above, you put your motor at risk if you continue to run it in this condition. Definitely change out those lines and rebuild the carbs with genuine mikuni kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back