1996 Gti dual to single carb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwat65

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have a Seadoo Gti in my shop that the customer wants to change from a dual carb set up to a single carb. He has a new single carb from a 97 Gs that the crank locked up on. Are there any drawbacks to this. I explained to him that we could rebuild the duals but he wants to go with the new single setup. It’s his daughters ski so he’s not really concerned about top end speed.

Well.......

If it's a 720 GTI... and the single is good to go... then do the swap. Seadoo listed the 720 as the same power and RPM with either the twin 38's, or a single 40. When my shop was open... I worked on both, and I never noticed a performance different. (other than being in different skis) To be 100% honest, I'm not sure why they did both.

The only down side that I can think of... is on some really hot skis, we ran the rear cyl a little rich because of crank twist (it runs hotter) SO... if you richen it to keep the rear happy... the front may foul or load up on long idles.

Anyway... since you will be changing him labor... I'm sure it would be WAY cheaper for your customer to just do the swap. Especially if the rubber gaskets are still good. It will only be 2 hr's labor for the swap opposed to 3 or 4 hr's, plus any parts needed for the rebuild.

Thank you for the input. I’ve always wondered why they did both. I always say my shop but mostly it’s a labor of love. I don’t charge much. I just like to see the old 2 strokes keep running . I always appreciate the advice given . Thank you again !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back