1996 GTI carb not outputting gas

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbaddorf

Hi, I recently got a 1996 seadoo gti 2-stroke and I have been working on fixing it. It did not run when I got it, but since then, I have pulled both carbs and done rebuilds on them. The carb with the pump on it works great, but I can't get gas to come out of the other carb. I can't figure out what the problem is. I am wondering if maybe part of the problem is the pop off on the needle. I can take the side of the carb when it is on the ski, and there is never gas sitting in that chamber. Please help!

Follow the carb sticky to the letter. Sounds like the fuel pump bypass is not sending fuel to the secondary carb.

Thanks for your quick reply! I am not sure what a "carb sticky" is. Also, it seems that gas is getting to the second carb, because when I push the needle by hand, once I just tried to start the ski, gas comes out.

I looked at your tutorial for rebuilding the carb, and I did do almost all of it. I am not using Mikuni parts, I didn't know that at the time. So the one carb, with the pump works great, and the ski can run on that one cylinder. I don't think that the pump is the problem though, because, as I had said, the 2nd carb does get gas, it just doesn't go past the needle. I am using the original spring and lever for the needle, so I don't think it is a pop of problem. Also thank you so much for helping me with this because I have been at my wit's end for a while now.

Full STOP!

Don’t move any further without doing it all over again with genuine Mikuni parts and new needles and seats. It will never run correctly otherwise.

Ok, thanks so much for your help! I wish I had known that when I rebuilt them. Well oh well, Thanks!
You have now officially joined the "I tried, I failed, I LEARNED" club. Experience is the best teacher.

MANY of us have been down that road..... we try aftermarket parts....hoping they work....but the Mikuni carbs are so persnikety that it just doesn't make any sense to futz around with AM kits (and the Mikuni parts are not that much more expensive).

Take your time, follow the "sticky" to the letter (no shortcuts).....you'll thank yourself later when she runs like the wind (eventually) :thumbs-up::cool: Good luck.

I concur with the advice of this crew...only use genuine Mikuni parts.

I bought aftermarket kits just to try them out to "test" this testament by so many others. But knowing the HIGH possibility of them failing. I had hoped they would work. But they proved me right. Just like all the other folks that have come across this exact problem...aftermarket carb rebuild kits are a no no because they had problems in my kits that I tested. I normally use Mikuni kits anyways. But for shyts and giggles. I had to try it.

Hey, so thanks so much for all your help! I have not been able to get the Mikuni parts yet, but I did mess around with the carbs some more, and I finally realized, that I had put the spring that came with the rebuild kit, into the carb with the pump, which was causing that cylinder to get too much fuel, and make the other carb, not get enough. I replaced the springs with the original springs, and now both cylinders get an equal amount of gas. My problem now is that it won't start. I have checked spark, and compression (with my harbor freight compression tester (I do know they aren't super accurate)), but the engine still won't start. Not with choke or giving it throttle. Originally when I got the ski, the cylinder with the pump on the carb did run, but not the other cylinder. Now, I can't get either cylinder to run. Any ideas? I have no idea what to do!

you can try dribbling some 2 stroke mixture down the carbs to see if the engine will run on both cylinders before you spend the money on carb kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back