1996 GSX Carburetor adjustment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

obbceo

I am new to this so please bear with me.

I have 2 used 1996 GSX with the 787 engines and I can't figure out how to adjust the carburetors while they are on the engines. The screw for the left carb is accessible but the screw for the right carb is blocked by the exhaust pipe. I have bought 4 different carb adjusting tools and none of them can get on top of the screw in the tight space it is in. I will tell you the guy I bought the Seadoo Bombardiers from said he had the engines completely rebuilt so I'm not sure if they were rebuit to spec. Can any one tell me what tool I need and the proper way to adjust the carbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and are the settings for the GSX the same as the XP so I know what the rpm setting should be. The shop manual I have doesn't list the GSX.

Thanks,

obbceo

I have the same ski and I always use the XP specs for my GSX engine wise they are almost the same ski.

The only screw I had problems adjust was the high speed screw and I was able to do that by using a Eye Glasses screw driver and just pushing on the head of the screw. The high speed screw should be all the way in anyways.

Thanks for the reply...

The shop manual I have says that the hi-speed can be adjust 1/4 turn so you're saying it should be turned clockwise til it stops?

Also if you don't mind could you define PTO and MAG carburetors. I think PTO stands for Power Take Off...and MAG is short for Magneto but what is the difference between a PTO carb and a Magneto carb since they look identical. And what does Magneto mean?

Again thanks for your help. This is a whole new world for me.

obbceo

Pto and mag refer to the carbs at those respective ends, most likely you'll find your pto carb nearest the rear.
Browse the site and find the manual for your ski, it may answer some of your questions.

I am new to this so please bear with me.

I have 2 used 1996 GSX with the 787 engines and I can't figure out how to adjust the carburetors while they are on the engines. The screw for the left carb is accessible but the screw for the right carb is blocked by the exhaust pipe. I have bought 4 different carb adjusting tools and none of them can get on top of the screw in the tight space it is in. I will tell you the guy I bought the Seadoo Bombardiers from said he had the engines completely rebuilt so I'm not sure if they were rebuit to spec. Can any one tell me what tool I need and the proper way to adjust the carbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and are the settings for the GSX the same as the XP so I know what the rpm setting should be. The shop manual I have doesn't list the GSX.

Thanks,

obbceo

First off, what makes you think that the carbs need adjusting? I have a 1996 GSX and I have never touched the high speeds. Is it not running right and if so, what are the symptoms. The high speed screws have less need to be messed with on those than the low speed. The low speed screws have to be adjusted with the air box removed from the ski. They are in a stupid location, the bottom of the carbs and accessible only with the throttle held wide open so the butterfly rockers are out of the way. You need a mirror and a small screw driver and FORGET doing it on the water with it bobbing up and down and moving around. I tried it and got so pissed off I could not do it anyways! LOL!.....I had to do it on the trailer where she was steady. It is a PITA 100%.

The high speed screw on the MAG side is blocked by the exhaust manifold. You'd have to get inovative and make a tool or bend a screwdriver tip to get to it. both high speed screws are in mostly anyways, the specs are out there on this forum somewhere. I'd think you need more adjustment on the low end, but you've not indicated a problem you are having to warrant adjusting anything. As you adjust your low speed for whatever you are trying to do....you will possibly have to tweak idle as well. Idle is on the MAG carb and it is a T handled needle just like the low speed screw on that carb, they look alike. It sticks out and it available through the hole in the front cable bracket.

PTO is power take off like you said and MAG is magneto....these demarcations are used to describe which end of the engine you are speaking of and thus, which carb. The main difference between the carbs is that the MAG carb houses the fuel pump and the back carb does not. If you look, the front compartment of that carb is thicker and the rear just appears to have a block off plate over it. In reality the front deeper part is the fuel pump and on the back, that pump is not there, just a carb cover covering the internals. When you do a carb rebuild, the front MAG carb house more parts than the rear one because of this diaphragm controlled fuel pump.

Thanks so much for the info...

I thought the carbs needed adjusting because they would bog down and take a while to get up on the water...well yesterday we were replacing the fuel selector valve and found what may have been the problem...both the main and reserve fuel outlets on the valve were so clogged I'm surprised that the skis even started yet ran. We're replacing the valve and fuel filter today so we may not need to adjust the carbs at all. However we may need to adjust the idle and your info on all of the adjustment procedures has been very helpful! According to the manual I should adjust the idle to 3000 rpm out of water so it'll idle at 1500 in the water...is that correct?

Thanks!

obbceo

I thought the carbs needed adjusting because they would bog down and take a while to get up on the water...well yesterday we were replacing the fuel selector valve and found what may have been the problem...both the main and reserve fuel outlets on the valve were so clogged I'm surprised that the skis even started yet ran. We're replacing the valve and fuel filter today so we may not need to adjust the carbs at all. However we may need to adjust the idle and your info on all of the adjustment procedures has been very helpful! According to the manual I should adjust the idle to 3000 rpm out of water so it'll idle at 1500 in the water...is that correct?

Thanks!

obbceo

Yeah clogged fuel lines are not good.....replace all of those. As far as the specs, that is what the manual says.....3K out of water on the garden hose. I have mine a little slower..around 2600-2800 because I like to idle a little slower since it is a direct drive and then I am not moving as much in the water as a 1500 rpm would take you. But yes, that is what the manual says...just adjust that on the hose. You don't want too low of an idle because if the engine cannot chug along at idle with water loading it, then it will cut off on you and lug the engine too much which is hard on bearings and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back