1996 challenger water in bilge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilngineer

1996 challenger trial run observations

Hi,

I took our recently purchased challenger out for a test run finally today. Ran pretty good overall.

I did a couple of spin outs, but nothing excessive. When I pulled the boat out, there was a small (10"L) shallow water puddle in the bilge between the stringers under the intake (near bilge pump).

Any thoughts on the cause? We took no water in the cockpit. Also, I saw a similar puddle of antifreeze when I started the boat out of water a couple of weeks back. Exhaust leak somewhere?

Any help is appreciated.

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
1996 challenger performance opinions

Also, we bought the challenger with a bored, rebuilt 787. Stock traditional blade impeller.

She ran a tick over 7k on the tach, 45 on the speedo, 40 iPhone GPS, hole shot was miserable!

Typical performance or tuning/pump cavitation & leak concerns?

Thoughts for improvement? I'm thinking a swirl or concord impeller or possibly a 97 stock impeller.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason, that has no anti-freeze in it unless it is from the winterizing. It more than likely was spilled when it was winterized. If the hole shot was slow, I would do a compression test before you spend more money on it. If the compression is low it won't be quick off the bottom end. Remember it's a 13 year old boat...do maintenance first then change out parts for mods.

Karl

Karl,

Just to clarify, after I took the boat out yesterday, there was only water in the bilge. The antifreeze I noticed was a couple of weeks ago in the same spot. The boat was winterized, but the bilge was clean when we bought it. The puddle seemed to appear after it was ran for a few.

Also regarding the hole shot, a compression test was performed when I bought it with good results. It just seemed to take off weak to me. Definitely won't pin you to your seat or anything!

I realize the boat is 13 yrs old, but it is in immaculate shape and was well maintained. I would like to get it tuned just right.

Jason, the seadoo doesn't have ANY anti-freeze in it. If the compression is low, it doesn't matter how good it looks it might need attention, like a top end rebuild. Low compression means poor performance like you indicate. The compression should be ideally at 150 psi...so 120psi is ok, but it won't give you peak performance. Well maintained means nothing unless it was either paid for at a local seadoo repair shop on a regular basis or owned by someone highly experienced in seadoo technology. Changing the spark plugs and rinsing the boat after use isn't "well maintained", it's just some of the basic maintenance required. For instance, my seadoo doesn't need to ever be tuned...it always is. The same with my 1997 Challenger I sold last year...it never needed anything, I stayed on top of it every step of the way, being maintained before and after each use.

I would check out the exhaust and clamps to see if it leaking exhaust or has a hole letting the cooling water into the hull.

Karl

Karl,

I think I've managed to confuse you about what I saw.

When I bought the boat, it was winterized by the PO with biodegradable antifreeze. The engine bay was spotless.

After purchasing, the boat was started on the trailer (still winterized). Sometime after I noticed what appeared to be watery antifreeze below the intake in the bilge. Not a lot, but a small puddle. I then cleaned it up.

Yesterday, I took it out for a test run. Afterwards, I noticed water (not antifreeze) in the same area of the bilge. It was a relatively small puddle.

To my understanding, there should be no water in the bilge unless water was taken in or leaking somewhere. I am looking for suggestions on possible causes.

As for performance/maintenance, I understand your point. However, the boat was professionally maintained and rebuiilt by a very reputable seadoo dealer. Not just hosed down I mentioned getting the boat "tuned" because, I, like you keep everything of mine (cars, boats, etc) in top notch condition. Since I just purchased it, there are things I would like to go through to get it to that point. I know the boat I'd older, but I think it is reasonable for me to work on it to attain capable optimum performance.

I will look for exhaust/cooling system leaks and let you know. Thanks again!

You worded it correctly in your first post. Well, at least I understood what you meant.

Having some water in the bilge is going to be normal. As for the performance issue: Have you looked up into your pump to check out the impeller and wear ring yet? And who did the engine rebuild?

Karl,

Just to clarify, after I took the boat out yesterday, there was only water in the bilge. The antifreeze I noticed was a couple of weeks ago in the same spot. The boat was winterized, but the bilge was clean when we bought it. The puddle seemed to appear after it was ran for a few.

Also regarding the hole shot, a compression test was performed when I bought it with good results. It just seemed to take off weak to me. Definitely won't pin you to your seat or anything!

I realize the boat is 13 yrs old, but it is in immaculate shape and was well maintained. I would like to get it tuned just right.

I inspected the wear ring/impeller prior to purchasing. No gouges or dings. Clearance is nice and tight.

The rebuild was performed by Hildebrand Marine aka The Seadoo Clinic here in MI.

If the water in the bilge is normal, where is it likely coming from?

BTW, I checked compression again both cylinders were right at 150psi.

If you suspect you have a leak. Why don't you just run the engine on the hose and look for leaks? If that's OK, do the same thing in the water.

Chester

:agree: looking at it running is the best way to diagnose a leak...

I agree with keeping everything I own up to snuff. I see so many owners of water toys just run them and park them when done, only to complain later it runs like crap and blaming it on the brand being junk.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back