1996 787 hard to start when engine is cold

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilngineer

Just got through a full rebuild on my engine. Carbs are meticulously clean, pop-off is set at 30psi with stock springs, LSA=1, HSA=0. New marine fuel lines also.

When I start the engine cold (in or out) of the water I have to crank and crank the engine until it finally starts. Choking or throttle seems to make it take longer.

Once it has been started and shut down. If I start it within a short period of time ~10-15mins it starts as soon as I hit the button (both in and out of water).

Any ideas on why?

Maybe its possible that the fuel lines have a leak and that they drain over a while making it harder to start? Check your fuel selector valve. How long do you typically run it before you shut it off? You could be sucking all of the fuel in the lines and the supply of fuel is slow or cut off from something.

Thanks for the tip, but I think I am ok there.

I spoke with Harry at Group K and I think he nailed it. He said when the boat sits, because of the long fuel lines the tank siphons the gas away from the pulse pump.

The solution is either to add a primer kit or change over to the pumper carbs and use the throttle as a primer before starting.

I have a set of 97 accelerator pump carbs so I am going to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back