1995 sportster- no spark- general questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeckenb

Thank you in advance to anybody who can help clarify a few things for me. I just purchased a 1995 sportster. The boat is in excellent shape but the seller told me it would idle fine but would kill if you tried to open it up it would kill. He told me it would run at low idle without problems. I was able to start it up several times (3-4) and it started just fine. I never ran it too long because it was out of water. The next day I took it to a local guy who works on boats out of his garage. The first thing he did was check for compression and then started to check for spark, through a spark tester, and didn't get a spark. So now it would not start at all. I have read many posts that talk about the Mpem being a possible problem for spark loss. But I have aslo read that a 1995 would not have a Mpem. And this is my first point of confusion. Should I have a Mpem in a 1995? I am pretty sure I do not have the DESS system. so can I eliminate problems with the lanyard? It will turn over if I press the button in. Another point of confusion is, iff I should hear beeps when I but the key on. My users manual mentions listening for beeps for various beeb counts but I do not hear any beeps at all. Should I hear beeps when I but the lanyard on if I don't have a DESS system?? Or does the absence of beeps shed any light on what my problem may be?Last but no least, I have read through a few posts about how to check the Mpem on other SeaDoo models, does anyone know if it is the same procedure for for a jet boat? I looked for the red/black wire but could not find it. Thanks again, Mark

Module...?

You do not have the standard MPEM module, but you do have one. It's basic purpose is to control the rev's and to allow ignition if all conditions are satisified. Your neutral safety switch and your shut off switches up front can keep you from getting spark. I didn't see a safety lanyard but in these older models, they usually have more than one source to shut off the engine. Either a safety lanyard that you tie on to you and the button that you can push to shut it down. In this arrangement, they cascade into each other. So, if you have one of them stick, then you are not going to get any fire to your coil.

The other thing that can keep you from fire is the ignition coil. You can check this with a ohm meter. If you don't have one, you can pick up a cheap one at Walmart for testing.........:cheers:

thank you for your reply, I took the battery out to recharge it and changed the plugs and it fired up on the very first turn. :) Now I am ready to try the lake and see what will happen.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back