1995 Speedster not getting power to ignition relays

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattBoat

I bought a 95 Speedster a while back and got it running. Now after it not using over winter, it is not doing anything when I press either starter button. When I got the boat I noticed that it had a common problem of one of the MPEM fuses constantly blowing, but both motors would crank fine. One of the MPEM fuses is fine.

I have checked safety lanyard, key, and the neutral switch. I even jumped them with a wire. I can jump the relay and the motor will turn over, but will not start. Fan and bilge pump work fine.

Does anyone have an idea what to check next?

Check to see if you are getting voltage to the solenoids when you press the button. It would be really odd to have two fail at the same time, but the absence of voltage on the control side of the solenoid will verify whether the problem is in the MPEM or not...

I just checked both sides and no power to neither solenoid. Is there anything else to check or is it the MPEM? Also if I do have to replace it, are aftermarket ones the way to go?

Unfortunately there are no aftermarket MPEM’s for the boats, and they are rare and expensive... Westside Powersports is going to be your best bet for a replacement, but you will have to have a conversation with them about whether you’re better off replacing it or converting to separate ski MPEMs for each motor. There are pros and cons to both routes, so definitely take the time to talk to those guys.

As for what caused the failure, I’m going to go out on a limb and say you used a battery charger on the boat with it still hooked up? That or jumper cables are the usual culprits...

Ok thanks. Yes I did use a battery charger. Do I need to unhook the battery if I have to charge in the future?

Yes, especially on the boats since the computers are so rare and expensive. If you need to charge the battery, at least remove the cables from the terminals...

I know it would be a long shot, but did you check the start buttons with a meter to make sure they're good? Check the wiring from the switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back