1995 sp hard starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheflen

So I just took my 95 sp out for the first time today after rebuilding everything on it. (The budget 95 sp build) I went through the entire break in procedure throughout the day, and the ski is running absolutely great now, tons of power, great throttle response, etc. one concern, when I had it in the water for about 45 minutes it started having issues starting, once it started it drove perfectly. The biggest factor that I think is playing is that the water temps are probably around 38 degrees, I live in Illinois and it was literally snowing a week ago. But the air temps were mid 60s. It also had the same starting issue on the trailer as soon as I pulled it out of the water. But I waited about 5 hours of it being out of the water and it fired right up on the first crank again. Is this because of the cold water temps? Do I need carb adjustments? Jetting? Another thing, it was still hard to start in the water even when it was warmed up. Thanks for the help in advance.IMG_2131.JPGIMG_2136.JPG

So I just took my 95 sp out for the first time today after rebuilding everything on it. (The budget 95 sp build) I went through the entire break in procedure throughout the day, and the ski is running absolutely great now, tons of power, great throttle response, etc. one concern, when I had it in the water for about 45 minutes it started having issues starting, once it started it drove perfectly. The biggest factor that I think is playing is that the water temps are probably around 38 degrees, I live in Illinois and it was literally snowing a week ago. But the air temps were mid 60s. It also had the same starting issue on the trailer as soon as I pulled it out of the water. But I waited about 5 hours of it being out of the water and it fired right up on the first crank again. Is this because of the cold water temps? Do I need carb adjustments? Jetting? Another thing, it was still hard to start in the water even when it was warmed up. Thanks for the help in advance.View attachment 34756View attachment 34757
Forgot to mention, all gray fuel lines were replaced, geniune mikuni carb rebuild kits, pretty much everything gone through, hoping it's just the cold water

Did you check pop off and leak down when rebuilding the carb?
Unfortunately not, I had no tools to build pressure. Would the hard starting be because of the pop off? Or can I get away with tuning the screws? Or is it just the 35-40 degree water? Because it starts out of the water perfectly fine after sitting in the warm air for a while

Sounds to me like it’s flooding possibly from a leaking needle.
Ah I can see that, as it seems to smoke a lot when it first fires and it smells like fuel when it's cranking. Does the carb rebuild kits come with new needles?

No they are separate and you have to get the correct size for your ski. Yours should be a 2.0. Make sure you only get genuine Mikuni.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back