1995 SP Cavitation / Pump Problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seascan

Hi. I just took my SP out after sitting for a number of months. Last time I took it out it ran perfectly. Today it will not get over 10mph or so and seems to vibrate at that speed.

The impeller and wear ring "look" fine. I am wondering if it could be the neoprene seal.

Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to replace the seal? Any recommendations?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rule of thumb:
High RPMS/Low Speed= Propulsion problem:wear ring, impeller, shaft, anything with jet pump

Low RPMS/Low Speed= Fuel problem: clogged filters, carbs leakin out, ect...

Which one do you have?

You can check the wear ring by using a feeler gauge through water intake. Remove grate and look through. Clearance between the wear ring and impeller should not exceed 1.0 mm (.040 in). Measure each blade at its center.

It's a high RPM problem. At low RPM it runs completely normal.

It doesn't look like I can fit a piece of paper between the wear ring and the impeller.

If its revving up real high and you not going anywhere somethings up with the jet pump. Impeller could be bent or shaft could be slipping as well.

The strange thing is that it sounds like "a clutch slipping"... I do understand that my ski does not have a clutch! :)

It does seem to be the neoprene seal as the boat had no isues before or it could be the carrier seals. I have had a broblem before with a bad vibration I just turned the engine off and restarted and it seem to be ok. I could only guess that I sucked somthing up at the boat ramp and it let go when I turned the engine off. The seal is easy to change you need to disconect any water line atached to the pump from inside the hull like a bailer line and the water line that cools the engine. [should only be 2 I think] Then remove the 4 bolts that hold the pump to the hull and any thing that is atached to the pump like steering and so forth. It may require a litle force to seperate the pump from the hull. [make sure you have removed all bolts before trying to pry away and becarefull not to chip the jelcoat when prying. Use a good sealent like the [right stuff] brand sealent sold at autozone or discounts auto parts to seal the threw hull fitings. good luck Robin :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back