1995 Seadoo XP Issue.....HELPPPP !!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylar Kruze

Hello Everyone first of all Im new to this site so greetings from Tennessee !!! Anyways had a couple questions hoping that someone could help me out. Bought a 95 Seadoo XP couple months ago. Had been sitting for a yr in a garage and only thing it needed was a new battery and it started right up. Trim button was messed up but after doing some research I fixed that problem as well. Anyways getting to the point.. She has rode fine since i bought it but the other day I got on it and it acted like it wouldnt crank over or anything. Seems like it was getting no power at when I hit the start button, but after a couple of tries it started up and I rode it. While I was out I cut it off to take a swim and when I got back on it to head home, Nothing again this time it never started back. Just bought the battery so I didnt think it could be it but it acted like the battery was completely dead because of nothing happening when I hit the start button. pulled out and put it in my garage over night. Today I just tried hitting the start button just to see if it would try to crank over or start (and yes im either holding the cutoff switch in or im putting the key in when im trying this just to clear that up haha) but when I did that it acted like it wanted to start soooo I took it back down to the dock put it in and once again it kinda gives a weird clicking sound and then goes dead to nothing kinda like what would happen if your battery was dead on your car or something. When i initially put the key in and try to start it the gauges come on but then they just shut off and nothing happens. After doing some research on this as well seems like im leaning towards a starter solenoid being bad but I really dont know. Any help on this would be great !!! Thanks in advance and Happy 4th of July !!!! :thumbsup:

No, Well I tried jump starting it. I pulled my jeep down to the dock hooked up jumper cables and tried it that way ....?? but nothing still.

It's ok to hook up a car battery to the ski only if the car or truck is not running. Jumping a ski from a running vehicle risks damage to your MPEM.

The same can be said for charging the battery while it is hooked up to the ski. Disconnect the battery from the ski before charging.

Mike

What spim meant was jump across the two main terminals of the start solenoid use an old screwdriver, if the motor turns over replace the solenoid.

Welcome to the Seadoo forum, please fill out the rest of the information in your personal profile, your location and watercraft owned.

Lou

Good chance it's a solenoid. My 95 XP did much the same, starter would only click repeatedly even with a new battery. New solenoid was cheap and no problems since. It's located inside the MPEM (grey box) left side of battery.

Check ground connection at starter. Could be weak, corroded or on its way out.

I was just stranded out on the lake last sunday due to hitting a wake and my 96 xp went completely dead electrically. Had to get towed in after I pulled seat off to check connections at battery, they were tight and clean. (Battery is brand new and trickle charged in between rides) Got back to dock, looked around, grabbed negative battery cable and kept pulling it till I found the end that connects to ground lug broken off. Did a little research on here, found that it connects to ground lug on side of starter, soldered on and heat shrinked a new lug on the cable and re-attached to starter with 13mm bolt. All good to go.

Check ground connection at starter. Could be weak, corroded or on its way out.

I was just stranded out on the lake last sunday due to hitting a wake and my 96 xp went completely dead electrically. Had to get towed in after I pulled seat off to check connections at battery, they were tight and clean. (Battery is brand new and trickle charged in between rides) Got back to dock, looked around, grabbed negative battery cable and kept pulling it till I found the end that connects to ground lug broken off. Did a little research on here, found that it connects to ground lug on side of starter, soldered on and heat shrinked a new lug on the cable and re-attached to starter with 13mm bolt. All good to go.

this is exactly why i run two ground cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back