1995 Seadoo Sportster - Gas Smell and Leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorothy

So I recently got a used 1995 Seadoo Sportster. The one engine one. Basically, after we bought it, we found that when we fill the gas tank up all the way, gasoline (between one and two gallons), leaks out into the engine compartment and pools up. Obviously this is a bad thing. The gas appears to have stopped leaking after the fuel tank has about 1 inch missing out of it.

So my questions. Is there a history of any bad gas tanks in these? Is there any other part which would make sense that it could be other than a bad gas tank? I read about a recall on "all 1993-1996 Seadoo watercraft" relating to the gas tank, but I don't know if that is true. We haven't had the boat on the water yet and my husband is pretty upset.

If it is the gas tank where would be a good place to buy one? It looks like a huge expensive job because the engine would need to come out just to check it. It's all very frustrating.

Thank you very much in advance. It's very frustrating right now.

Dorothy

PS - Hi everyone. Sorry to be so rotten and not say hello first. I forgot my manners. It's been a very frustrating couple of days.

Check the tank for cracks, around the filler neck is common area for cracks. I take it your boat has a plastic tank.

Check the tank for cracks, around the filler neck is common area for cracks. I take it your boat has a plastic tank.

The problem is apparently the entire motor has to come out to see the tank. It does have a plastic tank. Is this a common problem with these boats?

If you look at this diagram, can you please let me know where the vent tube is? It looks like there are three things coming off the gas tank?

http://fiche.seadoowarehouse.com/se...3&make=seadoojb&a=192&b=14&c=0&d=-FUEL-SYSTEM

Thank you this is helpful.

Dorothy

The boats don't have an issue with fuel tank failures. They are much thicker that the PWC tanks were. I think you will find that your problem is in the rubber parts. So... check the vent, the fill hose, and the rubber boot that holds the sender, and the other hoses. But... DO NOT run the boat with a known fuel leak. Engine compartment fires are a real issue, and they normally start with a small explosion.

Thank you for your help so far.

The boats don't have an issue with fuel tank failures. They are much thicker that the PWC tanks were. I think you will find that your problem is in the rubber parts. So... check the vent, the fill hose, and the rubber boot that holds the sender, and the other hoses. But... DO NOT run the boat with a known fuel leak. Engine compartment fires are a real issue, and they normally start with a small explosion.

I put a picture of it at this site. This is good because it shows you exactly how much fuel leaked out. It was filled to the top and then never ran afterwards because we noticed the fuel leak before going to the lake. I guess from this picture maybe more like 5 gallons leaked out.

We did tow it around when it was full.

http://www.filedropper.com/smaller-tank

Thank you so much for all of your help so far. My husband and I aren't mechanical, but we don't want to have to replace the whole gas tank if we don't have to. THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back