1995 Sea Doo with 55 HP 587 Rotax Engine - Rectifier - Voltage - Battery - Stator

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Technonick2xlc

Hi, i have a 1995 Sea Doo with 55 HP 587 Rotax Engine.
I had Problems with the Regulator, the Battery was empty after a 30 Minute Ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start by replacing the regulator. The engine doesn't need the battery to run, and the rest of the electronics shouldn't drain the battery that fast.

Thanks for your answere Dr. Honda.
I will try the regulator when it arrives this week. I have another Question, is this enginge running
by AC or DC? When i look to the electrial wiring Diagrams, the Spark Plugs go over the ignition coil (CDI?), coming
from MPEM coming from regulator, coming from Stator (lighting / Generating coil, Charging Coil, Magneto).
Anywhere on this way must something be faulty.

I have the electrial wiring Diagrams in Attachment if you want to have a look.

Attachments

• Stromlaufplan.jpg
    Stromlaufplan.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
it's both.

The main part of the electronics work from DC. (about 12~13v) That is all the parts after the regulator/rectifier unit. BUT... the CDI/coil is charged using high voltage AC. (above 150v)

Thats the next i try, waiting everyday for the package from US -> USPS :(
Thought only i could try something in the meantime, but it doesn´t seem there is much we can do until the regulator is checked.

You need to check the voltage of the system. What voltage do you have at the battery at:

1) engine off
2) engine on
3) engine at 5000 RPM.

Hi,

Engine off: 13,3V
Engine on: 13,5V
Engine @ WOT: 13,9V

Ampere 1,2-1,4 A @ clampmeter

Engine stalls after 5 Minutes ride, heat or voltage problem?

If you are showing 13.9v in the upper RPM range... then you are charging.

If it's a heat issue... then I need to ask... is your temp sender, and buzzer working?

Back to the charging... I think you will need to hook a volt meter to the battery, and go for a ride, and see what it's doing on the water.

We´ll make another try, a friend of mine sayd he strongly thinks thats a carburators problem and not an electrical issue,
because we had also a strong smell of gasoline durring the last two rides, maybe the engine gets to much fuel?

It could be a carb problem... but you said the battery was "Empty" when it died.

So.... do you still have gray fuel lines? If so... that's your problem. They need changed, and the carbs need cleaned.

I think we have/had 2 Problems, the first was that the battery was not charging, on the first ride the Engine died after 30 Minutes but the jet was running. After my first check i found corrosion on the rectifiers ground i cleaned it and the multimeter shows charging. Now after another 3 rides the runtime was:

1) 45 Minutes, the engine looses power after that -> Battery was not empty but needs a bit charging (3 hours)
2) 10 Minutes, the engine looses power after that -> Battery was not empty but needs a bit charging (3 hours) strong smell of fuel
2) 5 Minutes, the engine looses power after that -> Battery was not empty but needs a bit charging (3 hours) strong smell of fuel

I must say we had to start the engine about 6-8 times a ride for testing, and the engine doesn´t start very good (3 times for 5 sec. need
to press the start button, without water it starts better) a.s.o. so this could be the reason
why i had to charge the battery (starter needs 170A).

Yes it hast the gray fuel lines, whats the problem with them?

Which fuel lines do i have to buy, they´re still selling the gray ones on Ebay :) or just here 1m of 1/4" -> 6,35mm Fuel line and cut it like
needed?

I just changed all the lines on my SPI. I bought 17' of 1/4" automotive fuel line and used all but 6" of it. I also cleaned the fuel selector switch, the fuel filter and removed the carb to clean the inlet tubes and filter. They were really gummed up! Runs great now. Getting ready to do the SP today. It runs good, but figure it is just a mater of time for it to start acting up. Make sure and mark where the lines go. Can get kind of confusing if you just remove them all at once.

Thanks for your answere. We had a look to the carburetor and the inlet was gummed (gren/black slime, when we put it out with a screwdriver, on the air it dryed and now was hard like plastik coat). I have order 17 feet of 1/4" fuel line, 20 clamps, a caburetor rebuild kit for bn38-sb, a new gasket, the carburetor fuel filter, the main fuel filter, some brake cleaner and an oil filter, next weekend we´ll do the change... hope thats it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back