1995 gtx top end rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cds11

so last fall I found out that the pistons and rings got a little cooked on our last trip out. so I rebuilt the carbs because I'm pretty sure that's what cooked the pistons and rings and I also bought a piston and ring kit with all the gaskets and today I finally got a chance to get it put back together. everything went back together great after I got everything cleaned up including all the threads. fired it up and it runs great but it seems to be leaking exhaust between the head and exhaust manifold. I used new gaskets that seemed fine and I know that all the mating surfaces were completely clean. is this a normal issue after top end rebuild that goes away after a good heat cycle?

No. When you install the cylinders you have to get the exhaust manifold on hand tight to align the cylinders then torque the cylinders down per spec. My guess is your cylinders are staggered and the exhaust manifold doesn’t have a flat mating surface.

I never even thought of that and I bet your right because I did torque the jugs down first. thanks a lot mac, you have helped me out several times and I really appreciate it!

I would suggest a new base and exhaust manifold gasket. The head o-rings should be fine to reuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back