1994 spx fuel baffle question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gandy33

I have a 1994 SPX and I can''t get any fuel from the tank to the carbs. I have totally rebuilt the carbs (needle and seat) and I have checked the fuel baffle and fuse is good as it does register on the OHM reader and it shows gas in the tank on the fuel gauge. My question is: can the fuse be working but the baffle still not send fuel to the carbs? How can I go about checking that? I'm not sure what else to do. The fuel lines from the baffle are totally dry. Thanks for any help!

Electronics have nothing to do with the baffle's ability to send fuel. There is a fuel level sending unit built into the baffle, but I'm not sure if your ski came with that. The baffle has two pickup tubes (ON and Reserve), a vent and a fuel return attachment. They are all 1/4" barbs. Have you checked that your fuel selector knob is pointed to ON or RES? Are you sure the knob is not stripped? You can remove the selector and plumb the intake directly to the RES barb on your baffle. It should pickup fuel right away. Some early models (1992 for sure) had a baffle that used rubber hoses attached to metal filter screens. These would rot away and break off, leaving only a short length of pick-up tube. I believe the 1994 had the plastic tube baffles, where this was not an issue, especially if you have the sending unit wires coming out of it. If you're still not getting fuel after bypassing the fuel selector, pull the baffle and inspect it. Also, make sure you have the fuel/water separator screwed on properly. If that leaks enough air, it'll not pull any fuel.

As idoseadoo said connect the RES nipple on the baffle directly to the carb inlet. If it still won’t pull fuel either the baffle is bad and sucking air or the fuel pump on the carb isn’t working.

I had the same problem with my 1992 gts The first thing I tried was sucking on the fuel feeding line attached to carburator in order to establish that my freshly rebuild fuel pump wasn't the problem. I couldn't suck any gas so that was when I got the bright to fill up the gas tank and tilt the ski back so as to get the gas as close as possible to the baffle. It worked. I got gas. Took the fuel baffle out and found both the reserve and primary lines completely deteriorated inside the gas tank. I'm not sure if this is how your baffle works .

Correct, the older ones had hoses at the end of the baffle that would rot off and suck air then they switched to a solid plastic baffle that eliminates the issue but I am not sure of the exact year they made the change.

I believe he has the solid baffle, as he seems to have a fuel sending unit. The old style never had sending units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back